Edit logs

For reporting issues with the OCNA site.
TermiteHunter
Site Admin
Edit logs

Post by TermiteHunter » Tue May 28, 2013 8:53 pm

I had cause to archive a cache today ( the virtual site had moved, imagine that)
and wanted to edit the log with a description but when I click "edit" it just blinked and reloaded the webpage.

I just tried again on a different computer with the same result. I have been able to edit logs (even archived cache logs) in the past but no longer.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: Edit logs

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue May 28, 2013 9:45 pm

TermiteHunter wrote:I had cause to archive a cache today ( the virtual site had moved, imagine that)
and wanted to edit the log with a description but when I click "edit" it just blinked and reloaded the webpage.

I just tried again on a different computer with the same result. I have been able to edit logs (even archived cache logs) in the past but no longer.
Oh goodness, I can edit a log, I just tried several. Opencaching.pl pushes updates on us several times a week, I don't know what to tell you. I have not messed with anything but the forums in the past 4 days. Could you possibly try again?
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed May 29, 2013 10:23 pm

I too can edit logs except on archived caches.
Not really all that important since it is archived but still...

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed May 29, 2013 10:41 pm

TermiteHunter wrote:I too can edit logs except on archived caches.
Not really all that important since it is archived but still...
Well, lets put it this way. *I* can edit logs on archived caches. I can even edit *your* logs on archived caches. But I'm an admin, of course. Can we have a volunteer regular user with archived caches verify whether or not they can edit a log on an archived cache? If no one responds in a day or two, I will seek one out, and ask them to try it.

I have a non-admin test account, but it won't help here, it's never hidden any caches.
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:58 pm

Guess it is just a feature and if there is an occasional need, the CO could still edit the cache description to add the desired info or contact the team if they would rather do it in a log.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:38 pm

TermiteHunter wrote:I had cause to archive a cache today ( the virtual site had moved, imagine that)

What DG means is we finally found a regular user like yourself to test this out. Took a few days longer than we thought because we messed up his account. :mrgreen: But he did in fact report the same exact thing, the page blinked and reloaded. So apparently regular users cannot edit log entries on their own archived caches. you could ask us to do it of course. Say I find it's easy to do fix this and give all users archived caches log editing privileges. Would you have a problem with that, DG?
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:50 am

Not necessarily. Would this affect just the owner's own log?

Seems that editing a log on an archived cache would be a pretty rare need.

TH, are you able to post a new log to the archived cache or edit the description?
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:48 pm

I'll give it a try and report back.

The ides at the time was to provide an explanation out other comment at the time of archival but I found that when I archived it only a system generated” cache archived” was posted and I was then unable to as the comment.

To avoid this I supload I could have entered the comment prior to archiving. I just didn't think I would need to do that first.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S via Tapatalk

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:50 pm

Hope you could still read that after autocorrect fixed my spelling

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S via Tapatalk

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:27 pm

Yes, I can add a comment to an archived cache.
No, I still can not EDIT a log......not that I remember what I wanted to do with that ability now... Oh yeh, fix a typo.

Here is the cache in question:
http://opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=682

You will note a slight transposition of letters that I wanted to correct. Not an important issue worthy of requesting help from the administration but I do find it odd that I cannot edit my own entry once submitted.