Download error

For reporting issues with the OCNA site.
TermiteHunter
Site Admin
Download error

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:00 pm

After a recent message in my local forum about confusion with the wrong opencaching website and their app, I decided to download a GPX for a search of caches in my area in order to provide it directly. I performed a search, got a list of caches and attempted to download the GPX GC and the GPX file(s) from the search. I received NOT FOUND error for the file on each occasion.

Thinking it might be some incompatibility with my OS (Lubuntu 14.04) I tried again in IE on Win 7 with another machine. Got a PAGE NOT FOUND error.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: Download error

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:08 pm

I should state publicly that we're working on this via email with TH. :mrgreen: Personally, I'm doing OK with it with IE, Firefox and Chrome, although that is all with the rather ancient OS of Windows XP.
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:43 am

OK
Thinking it might just be the Linux box and since everyone else is on Windows I again decided to try another machine running Win7 with IE and Firefox
I did a search within 25 miles of my zip previously so I also tried the entire State search to make sure it was not isolated to that one search function.
Results are returned in the form of a list of caches over a few pages. The problem occurs when attempting to download the GPX GC or GPX file for all pages or this page.
On all occasions I get the 404 page not found error.

Here are the specs for the systems

Lunbuntu 14.04 Maxthon Linux browser 1.0.0.10
Windows 7 IE 10.0.9200, Firefox 27.0.1

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:15 am

Really??? Strange. Can you use that "all of North Carolina" .gpx I sent you? I didn't mention it, but it's a GPX GC.

I actually do not have access to windows 7, but Windows 8. Also Vista, but who uses that (besides Mrs. Yuck I mean). I can actually try 7 if I go to my brother's house later. I can't promise, but most likely. He usually has beer.
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:51 pm

Yes I posted the gpx you sent. Off course no one has downloaded it after all that trouble.

In going to try it on a Windows 8 machine later tonight

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:55 pm

Yep that's weird.

I was able to do it with win 8 using chrome.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:01 pm

TermiteHunter wrote:Yep that's weird.

I was able to do it with win 8 using chrome.
Do you happen to have the URL of the 404 page you get taken to? Perhaps I can find it, and edit with something along the lines of "if you reached this page trying to download a .gpx file using windows 7 etc....".

I will continue to test. This happens to Groundspeak on stuff too. And Garmin and Magellan with their "communicators" for downloading caches one at a time. There are so many OS's, so many browsers, and so many different versions of the browsers being used, it's not even funny.
ImageImage