As stated previously: Outlook 2007 /Win xp sp3
I have tried no other as that would involve submitting another cache or asking someone else to after setting up another client as all messages are removed from my server when downloaded.
I know another individual here that has the same problem since he signed up on his Droid (client unknown) so he removed notifications rather than deal with it. Another here also said they had problems with notifications.
Sherken reports the same thing (unknown client). Another posted a problem about their phone.
I suspect others have it as well and just haven't come to the forums or disabled the notifications.
This is affecting different clients on different devices.
All have been dismissed as if it is their problem and they must change when the only garbled message's among hundreds are from OCUS.
Mine were fine until just recently.
Some things I have noticed.
Problems on my messages began 10/23/10
Only occurs on "notifications" from OCUS
Logs appear OK but last one was recieved 10/22/10 before I encountered the problem
The "sent" section is now "none" where it should state the date and time (was correct on earlier messages)
The from title in the inbox is now blank where it used to say "[email protected]
Several messages are reported by Outlook as having "blank lines removed from this message"
indicating format problems.