Would it be difficult to....

Have an idea for the site? Share it here.
tripman1
Would it be difficult to....

Post by tripman1 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:21 pm

change the color of the speech bubble/upside down teardrop on the map of the home page? I was looking at the map of North America on the main page and noticed they really blend in with the ocean. The yellow event one is easy to spot, but the others seem to blend. Maybe green like the main page tab. Not a big issue if they can't be changed.
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: Would it be difficult to....

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:43 pm

tripman1 wrote:change the color of the speech bubble/upside down teardrop on the map of the home page? I was looking at the map of North America on the main page and noticed they really blend in with the ocean. The yellow event one is easy to spot, but the others seem to blend. Maybe green like the main page tab. Not a big issue if they can't be changed.
Actually, yes! We must consider ourselves lucky that map still works! :mrgreen: Google forced all Google Maps API users to upgrade to a new version of their API in November (I can't remember the exact date but could look it up), and that definitely changed to that color then. It's all above mine, or any other Admin's head, but we do have Peter from Geocaching Australia working on fixing our maps on a volunteer basis. He hit a dead end about 2 weeks ago, and we haven't heard anything since, but I'm sure he's going to get back on it when he has the time. I will definitely bring that up though, I'm sure it's not impossible. Who knows, it could be rather trivial.
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:30 pm

I actually thought I had this one today, but nope, didn't work. I'll leave it to the experts. :mrgreen:
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:04 am

OK, it worked. I did in fact find the correct file in early February, but I tried messing with it, and nothing happened so I put them back to blue. What I did not know is that you have to update or refresh the cron job that generates that map. I don't know what that means either, but I was given instructions on how to do so. Is red OK? Does everyone like red? We can change it, but I think I'll roll with it, unless people say otherwise.
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:53 pm

Looks good.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:57 am

DudleyGrunt wrote:Looks good.
I actually tried to change them to green on the test server just for laughs and comparison, but I can't get it to work over there! So unless someone gives me a compelling reason why they shouldn't be red, with orange for events like they are now, we can roll with it.
ImageImage