Spam accounts

Have an idea for the site? Share it here.
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Re: Spam accounts

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:51 pm

TermiteHunter wrote:Actually, There appears to no longer be much if an activity by real OCus users.
The place has been taken over by SPAMBOTS and the Mods have just let their posts remain.

If there is an issue with blocking the individual accounts, perhaps causing additional attacks, at least DELETE their posts so that prospective new members that actually have an interest in opencaching will not be confronted with what now appears to be an abandoned forum increasingly populated by spam posts. Not the image of a community I would be likely to join if I were on the fence about it and exploring the OCus sites.
Forum spammers, like all spammers, suck. The put real links in the gibberish posts, and they couldn't care less if forum readers click them, from what I've read, they just try to get those links on as many webpages on the internets as they can for search engine indexing purposes.

RE: our fourm being kinda dead lately; I'd post more, but I don't want to see last post Mr. Yuck all down the page!

I know Geocaching.com has a one day waiting period before posting to the forums, and it's pretty effective, from what I can tell. What does Navicache do? That is one seriously dead forum, but I'm not so sure I've ever seen spam there. Even with the new ownership. Whatever they have in place over there works.
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:52 pm

We look like an uncaring community. The forum has at least a dozen spam postings.

Can we clean this up?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S via Tapatalk

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:34 am

I just cleared them. Been busing this week with work.

I also need to break my habit of clicking jut on "View New Posts", since I needed to click "View Active Topics" to see them all.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Tue May 28, 2013 6:41 pm

Wow
We sure have been hit hard lately with spam postings

Out of curiosity can anyone explain why we get such posts.

Well not so much why as why they think those rambling nonsensical entries will ever get someone to click the links they disperse within the broken sentence musings they leave?

Or Am I asking the people that click those links in hopes of a cheap pair of shoes and a virus?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S via Tapatalk

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue May 28, 2013 6:59 pm

Guess it's volume, volume, volume. If they flood the Internet with them, some will click on the links.

Nice to be popular - I guess.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue May 28, 2013 9:56 pm

They're almost all coming from China. My "computer guy" has the ability to block all of China (he's done it himself in the past), we just can't seem to find a convenient time to get together at work and do it. I have already discussed blocking the whole freaking Country with DG, and he's fine with it. I mean we're Opencaching.us, why not block China? :mrgreen: I get hit pretty hard with "comment spam" on the blog, and most of that comes from Russia.

They are trying to get as many links on the internet to the website their spamming for as possible. The more links pointing to your website, the higher your ranking in search engines.

The latest ones (the last week or so) are actually pretty stupid, as they'll post several posts under the same account. Then you just have to delete their account and all their posts with a couple of mouse clicks. As opposed to the ones that spam once with several different accounts. We do have a captcha and a verification email. These are most surely "cheap human labor" spammers, rather than bots.
ImageImage