BIT Cache/ Unknown Cache Combo

Bound ID Tag Caching
Badwolf1197
BIT Cache/ Unknown Cache Combo

Post by Badwolf1197 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:39 pm

If I scan a BIT cache...does it take me to the cache listing where I can read the actual cache description or does just ask me for the password and then logs the cache as found?

Here is why I am asking...

I want to increase awareness of OCUS in my area but I really am trying not to cross-list my caches. Plus even if I cross-list a traditional, and clearly advertise the cross-listing in/on the physical cache container, the finder will still have to write down the OC #, go to the website, and log the cache...some might feel that is redundant work for the same find. So a BIT cache takes care of that...simply scan and log. But I am looking for an added incentive. I would like to hide additional OC Unknown Caches in the same vicinity...taking advantage of the less restrictive 300' limit. My thought is that on my OC Bit Cache page, I could have at the bottom of the description "Unknown Cache OUXXXX is located at NXXXX, WXXXX about 350' away". That way, a BIT finder knows there is another find nearby...one that he can't find on any other listing service.

On the Cache page for the Unknown cache, I would simply say "actual coordinates can be found on BIT Cache Page OU####. Someone searching online for OCUS caches in the area will be essentially handed the coords for the unknowns...but I have no problem with that...that would be a good problem to have.

I am planning a series to come out in the next few months, but wanted to start doing some of the planning now.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Re: BIT Cache/ Unknown Cache Combo

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:23 pm

The scanned BIT code sends the scanner to the cache page. They then will need to be a member and know the password.

Do what you can but don't expect great results. There are that will follow through and a greater number that will not even look into something new to them.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: BIT Cache/ Unknown Cache Combo

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:06 am

Sorry for the delay Badwolf, I hope you see this almost a week later. Thanks for all your support thus far! I haven't talked to the other 2 admins, but I'm quite sure there would be no problem with your idea.

As far as promotion or growing OCNA in your area, it's tough. I've found isolated caches created on a "place them and they will come" basis don't really seem to work. I have an example. Here are the three hides of a former admin for the site, and the guy responsible for merging opencaching.ca with opencaching.us. They're in the London, Ontario area. None have ever been logged as found, and they were all placed in 2011. That applies to the other alternative sites too. I was FTF of a 10 year old Navicache virtual last summer! :o I don't know how socially active you are in the local Geocaching community, having geopals you go group caching with, or attending a lot of events. But my experience is you have to TELL them about the caches, and BUG them to find them. :mrgreen:

In my area, Buffalo, N.Y., we had a decent amount of interest early on in 2010 and 2011 with probably 8 people hiding and probably double that finding OCNA caches. But it's died out big time, and I'm always bugging people to use the site, either in person, or via email.
ImageImage