Difference between OCUS BIT and Munzee

Bound ID Tag Caching
NativTxn
Site Admin
Difference between OCUS BIT and Munzee

Post by NativTxn » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:14 pm

There's a question on this on the Munzee forum. http://www.munzee.com/forums/index.php? ... ;topicseen

Can one of you answer this correctly?
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Re: Difference between OCUS BIT and Munzee

Post by RVRoadTrip » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:31 pm

I posted this on their forum:

As far as similarities go, BITcaches don't use a serial encoded bar code or a serial number at all on the cache tags. The QR code, generated by Google, simply points to the cache listing, the same way the countless other QR codes already in existence generally point to a web page. The QR code is not even necessary to log the find, it is simply a shortcut to a web page. In addition to a standard URL to the cache listing, each tag has a password printed on it and that password is used to log the find on the http://www.opencaching.us site, in the same manner as any other password protected cache. For example, certain other geocache types are password protected. When the user finds the cache, the password is in or on it. The finder uses that password to log the find on their favorite geocache listing site.

A BIT cache is like any other geocache in that it is hidden, the coordinates published and someone uses a GPS to find it. It is then logged on a web site using a browser. That's all it is, very simple. No apps, no serial numbers, no special bar codes, no points, no badges and no levels.

The claim to the concept has nothing to do with the QR code, it refers to the way the cache is implemented and logged as a whole.

Munzee is an awesome game, many people already play, and tens of thousands more will play. It does, however, preclude anyone who doesn't have an iPhone or Android smart phone. BITcaching can be played by anyone with a GPS.

-------------------
One user said this "Dont get me wrong, I think the idea is a good one... you could print 2 QR's side-by-side! One for the BIT Cache and one for the Munzee, then add the Muzee attribute to your BIT Cache in OCUS and bingo, instant hybrid. :D"

If you wish to play both games and include a Munzee QR code and the OCUS QR code on the same BIT cache, that is fine with me. Just make sure the QR codes are clearly identified showing which is which! Or have once side be the BIT cache and the other side be the Munzee.

steward147

Post by steward147 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:22 am

A BIT cache is like any other geocache in that it is hidden, the coordinates published and someone uses a GPS to find it. It is then logged on a web site using a browser. That's all it is, very simple. No apps, no serial numbers, no special bar codes, no points, no badges and no levels.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:32 pm

steward147 wrote:A BIT cache is like any other geocache in that it is hidden, the coordinates published and someone uses a GPS to find it. It is then logged on a web site using a browser. That's all it is, very simple. No apps, no serial numbers, no special bar codes, no points, no badges and no levels.

Yep. I placed two yesterday, and I think I own 6 or 7 without looking it up. I always print them with the bar code (you have the option not to), which when scanned with a smartphone, just takes you to it's cache page. I don't know why, seeing as I"m not a fan of smartphone logging, much of which consists of people dropping "lame" logs on cache owners. :lol:

I was a participant here in the forums when we "hammered out" the idea, back when RVroadtrip was active on the admin side. There is no doubt we borrowed the idea from Munzee. No sense denying it. :mrgreen:
ImageImage