Small problem

Bound ID Tag Caching
NativTxn
Site Admin
Small problem

Post by NativTxn » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:06 pm

I found out a problem this afternoon. I found a BIT placed in the window of one of our favorite yogurt shops. I scanned it and went to the website on my Android. I had a hard time getting the browser to work right. I could do most things on the page, but I had a devil of a time getting the description part of my log to show up on the screen. I was about to give up, but I got to thinking...what if I wait to go home to log it and then someone else comes along and is able to log it on the spot (especially since they have wifi). Who gets the FTF? There's not a log, so you don't know that someone else has beaten you to it.

If you are one of the people without a smartphone, you may miss out on FTFs because you can't log it right away. With the similar Munzees, when you scan it, that logs it automatically for you. Suggestions? Thoughts?
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Re: Small problem

Post by RVRoadTrip » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:06 am

There is not a mobile version of this site but there are many browsers available for Android if one doesn't work right for you (Opera, Dolphin, Skyfire, Firefox, Miren... to name a few) That might be an option if your stock browser won't display it properly. I use a Droid X on Froyo with the stock browser and everything shows up perfectly, but my phone does have a large screen as compared to some. As for FTF, that honor would go to who posts the first log.

I lack the ability to write an app, so that is not an option from me.

veerji

Nice

Post by veerji » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:12 am

We need to have a "Draft" mode for cache submissions like this so we can print the BIT, then deploy them with correct coordinates and text after the fact.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: Nice

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:02 pm

veerji wrote:We need to have a "Draft" mode for cache submissions like this so we can print the BIT, then deploy them with correct coordinates and text after the fact.
Good point, and it wouldn't hurt to see that. But I've been making the pages at home ahead of time while obtaining coordinates from Google Earth. I don't think I've ever been more than a couple hundred feet off. And there is no rule here you cannot change cache coordinates more than 528 feet, in case you really blow it, or decide to move it somewhere else.
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:42 pm

And we (the admins / reviewers) don't mind having draft caches in the queue. To make it clear, just add "DRAFT" to the beginning of the cache name and then delete it when the cache is ready to be reviewed.

The draft status is something we'd like to add, at some point, though.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:51 pm

In reference to the first post here about difficulty entering the text portion when living on a phone... I have found that you may need to change the tab at the top of the text entry section to ” text”. The default seems to open the box under html. Once the tab is changed to text you will be able to type away as usual.

I too would like to see a draft or better just a way to not submit the cache for review until I decide it is ready. The draft title works but I feel bad cluttering up the list of caches for review.
Any strange spellings or choices of words are the fault of autocorrect

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:04 pm

TermiteHunter wrote:In reference to the first post here about difficulty entering the text portion when living on a phone... I have found that you may need to change the tab at the top of the text entry section to ” text”. The default seems to open the box under html. Once the tab is changed to text you will be able to type away as usual.

I too would like to see a draft or better just a way to not submit the cache for review until I decide it is ready. The draft title works but I feel bad cluttering up the list of caches for review.
Any strange spellings or choices of words are the fault of autocorrect
I will check this out in the future. I do know my only ever BIT where I scanned the code and went to the webpage and wrote out a log in the field, it showed up on the website totally blank!! This is on WindowsPhone, and the Internet Explorer mobile browser.
ImageImage

ADogsLife

Post by ADogsLife » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:54 pm

I did my first BIT cach today not having a smart phone I wrote down the code and password, when I got back to log it I noticed that next to the date was a spot for the time. So it looks to me that if you note the time you are there you can clam FTF. Just thought I would put that out there so others might know.