GPSr or Smartphone: Which is Best?

Geocaching Hardware Discussion

GPSr or Smartphone: Which is Best?

Postby nathanjame » Tue May 15, 2018 4:34 am

GPSr or smartphone: which is best? I see this question asked all the time on Twitter and in various Facebook groups. I use both my GPSr (Garmin Oregon 600) and my smartphone (iPhone 5S) to cache with and both work for me in different circumstances.

I decided to talk to two cachers who solely use one or the other to get their take on the pros and cons of each.
nathanjame

Re: GPSr or Smartphone: Which is Best?

Postby Mr.Yuck » Tue May 15, 2018 10:22 pm

nathanjame wrote:GPSr or smartphone: which is best? I see this question asked all the time on Twitter and in various Facebook groups. I use both my GPSr (Garmin Oregon 600) and my smartphone (iPhone 5S) to cache with and both work for me in different circumstances.

I decided to talk to two cachers who solely use one or the other to get their take on the pros and cons of each.

I will say I solely use the GSPr. One of the main, and often overlooked advantages of it, is that it is designed to be used outside. Show me a smartphone that isn't useless in bright sunlight, I don't care what you do to the settings. That's the main thing, these days, one can no longer make the accuracy argument (although you could 5 years ago). Durability? I suppose you could buy a $100 otterbox, and there are waterproof cell phones out there now, although I suppose only on the Android side, I'm not privy to a waterproof iphone (although I've never had one, but I've never heard of them having such a model; I could be wrong). True story, I once was with the non Geocaching wife in Ohio on Lake Erie near Cleveland. Had the GPSr around my neck on a lanyard, and she warned me it was too close to the water. I proceeded to dip it in the lake the lake a few times, and ask her if I was worried.
ImageImage
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: GPSr or Smartphone: Which is Best?

Postby TermiteHunter » Fri May 18, 2018 11:42 pm

Really?

I don't think this guy is for real...well he is real and living in Nam but he has some varied interests and interesting posting habits.

From the start I suspected this was fake.
Sounded like a reasonable question with seeming knowledge at first but then... you get this,
nathanjame wrote:I decided to talk to two cachers who solely use one or the other to get their take on the pros and cons of each.

1) Why the hidden link to the OCNA forum?
2) So he decided to talk to two cachers....and what did he learn? What did they say? Are we supposed to be one of the cachers? Did he want to select one or two of us to talk to about the subject? The conversation just trailed off with no conclusion which I found very odd (as in a rather proficient non-english speaker)

After MrYuck's post I decided to look deeper
This e-mail is tied to a specific IP address with multiple e-mail accounts (not too unusual, I have somethng like 6-7 myself but there were A LOT)
The IP address has lots of activity that spiked at about the same time as the initial post. (as spam but no warnings were issued for it)
The user name can be found as a poster on a lot of forums
They are mostly single posts about the subject of the forum (reasonable but odd that they suddenly have an interest in posting in forums)
They are mostly new threads.( odd to post in several forums for the first time on different subjects at the same general time)
They mostly occured at about the same time (significant?)
They are all posts made the day of registration (a little interesting)
Many have been removed by the Forum staff (they must have been suspicious or have more info)
He never seems to return for an answer or more comments (suspicious and same here)
He has no finds on OCNA (not unusual)
No matching name on GC (suspect as people usually try to have the same name for similar purposes and the name is available)

All this combined leads me to think this is some dude in Vietnam that pre-loads forums for later.
Your call. Unless nathanjame would like to come to his own defense here.
TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Return to Hardware / GPS Units