GSAK

Geocaching Software Discussion
The Surly Dutchman
Re: GSAK

Post by The Surly Dutchman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:53 pm

RVRoadTrip wrote:
Pilerman wrote:And it works for this site? I'm still reading and figuring things out, are pocket querries possible here?
Yes and yes.

How do I complete a query?

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:32 pm

Every search performed on the site IS a Query.
Simply perform the search with the options selected and then download the resulting GPX file.
The only option not available that is available on GC is the Create a Route function

gregnotcraig

Post by gregnotcraig » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:42 am

TermiteHunter wrote:Every search performed on the site IS a Query.
Simply perform the search with the options selected and then download the resulting GPX file.
The only option not available that is available on GC is the Create a Route function
Just to add - on the main page, "Collected Queries" would be the equivalent to a GC.com "Pocket Query" - but MUCH easier to get to!
Follow me on the twitter @ageekinportland

team_goobie

Post by team_goobie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:59 pm

GSAK is a must have investment and it also runs great on other platforms using the WINE project dlls. (Wine Is Not an Emulator). Has a few hiccups - USB connectivity being the major - but for a free solution, it is great for those using Linux and Mac OS computers that don't want to invest in a copy of Windows and a commercial emulator to take advantage of GSAK. :geek:

I'm using a precompiled solution - Crossover Pro for Mac - but the binaries are simple enough to download and compile on their own (& I'm also project advocate). Once done, GSAK install and runs fine. :mrgreen:

That being said since I'm in IT I have GSAK installed on a few of my "real" Windows peecess. But my main stats and crunching I do on my Mac using WINE - lots easier than booting up another machine and waiting through all startup sequences, updates and discovery alert joys that a Windows install gives. Safer too.

Interested Mac users can dm me anytime.

Tony

UT Explore

Post by UT Explore » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:31 pm

I found a GSAK macro that pulls OC caches directly off the OC site without even opening the OC site. It is called OpencachingGarmin.gsk and it is available on the GSAK Forums. I used it today to pull 500 caches using my home coords as the center. I got back most of the SW USA. The OC cache listings are missing the Country, State and County info. I used another GSAK macro (CountryStateCounty.gsk) to load the appropriate info for each OC cache in my GSAK db. I then ran a filter to isolate just the OC caches in Utah. I had 257 OC caches in Utah that came through the direct download from the OC site using this macro referred to above. I verified that these caches werer in fact in Utah by sending them to a mapping macro. (FYI this was a blank db when I started so I am not mixing GC and OC caches in one db).
When I use the OC "Seek a Cache" or "Map a Cache" and limit the search to Utah, I only get 20 caches. Obviously I like the 257 better than just 20, but this seems to be a hiccup in the OC site or something. I am inteterested in if anyone has had similar problems or can replicate this issue with thier local caches in a different state.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:40 pm

Obvious answer here. Look at the name of that macro. It is pulling from the OC dot com site NOT OCus.
Another example of the " confusion" to be expected.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:52 pm

OCUS only has 485 caches in US and Canada. Garmin operates the dot com site.

gregnotcraig

Post by gregnotcraig » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:23 am

If there's any linux users out there, GSAK works under WINE, too. There's a few dlls that need to be the 'native' (vs the built-in that WINE provides; ie, they need to be taken from actual Windows), but it works great.
Follow me on the twitter @ageekinportland

UT Explore

Post by UT Explore » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:11 am

OK....now I am confused. What is the difference between OCUS and OC.com?

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:38 am

UT Explore wrote:OK....now I am confused. What is the difference between OCUS and OC.com?
OCUS is part of the original, nation based opencaching initiative. This is what is referred to as the "real" or official opencaching sites. These sites have been around for a while and a full list can be seen athttp://www.opencaching.eu. These sites are 100% free and are not used for marketing a specific brand of GPS and are "not for profit".

OC.com is a site being started by Garmin. It is their way of advertising their GPS units to geocachers (in my opinion). They purchased the .com domain name, created a very similarly looking opencaching logo (and are trying to say it is trademarked by them) and launched their beta site. OC.com is no way affiliated with the official opencaching sites.