Ethercache

Geocaching Software Discussion
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Ethercache

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:38 pm

I heard about this from NetworkCacher last night and it sounds kind of cool. Sort of like a Chirp without needing to have a transmitter in the field. And instead of needing one of a few GPS models from one particular manufacturer, you can use a free app that is available for iOS or Android.

I could see using this as a way to give out information to use to find a final physical cache or maybe even as a special virtual cache.

The app is produced by Permusoft, but isn't referenced on their site, yet, for some reason.

A couple of sources...
iTunes
Android
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Re: Ethercache

Post by RVRoadTrip » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:28 am

Sounds cool. I found it on the Android Market for those leery about installing from other places.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/ethercache/ ... ethercache

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:52 pm

Thanks. I installed it from the Android Marketplace today and will play with it. I noticed the first comment was from someone who had just used it to create a puzzle cache.

I even thought about using it to give a clue for a traditional cache hide.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:06 pm

Im going to give this a try as soon as my phone is done charging.

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:14 pm

I have the app and there is a cache listed on GC that uses it. Seems Groundspeak is testing it out. I think it has great potential but needs some tweaking.
http://coord.info/GC2MR0H

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:08 pm

I created a couple test Ethercache points. The biggest issue I have with the app on Android is that I can barely see the text, even though there is plenty more room in the field for larger type.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:52 pm

OK. OCus now has an Ethercache cache.
I first submitted it to GC so as to reach more people since it requires the Droid or iPhone and there are so few with them that participate in OCus locally. It was not approved by GC. I was told that some 10 were test published and reviewers were not to list any more at this time. NCReviewer attempted to contact GS to see if the test period was over or if there was still a hold on them. No response was made so after nearly a week of waiting it was disabled. Since I don't have either I managed to do it using an iPod Touch on unsecured wireless. I had another test run it with the iPhone and we created duplicate points with it so now it can be done with the three types of devices. The iPhone was sometimes slow or unable to pick up the unsecured wireless signal but it appeared on the Touch. With both in place it should work either way. Now waiting to see how it works for those that try.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:11 am

Saw that NASCAR3nut tried it, but didn't seem to understand that they needed the app.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:40 pm

Is there a FAQ or anything on the app? When you Deposit a spot, how big is the radius of that spot? How close do you have to be the exact spot? Is there a way to see the spots you've created anywhere? I agree...the type is TINY on the Android. Is there a way to edit your spot later online anywhere?

I tried creating a spot today at one of my caches. I walked a few paces and did a search and nothing showed up, so I was wondering if you had to be in the exact spot or maybe if it takes a while for you spot to show up in listing???
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:19 pm

N3n had the app but was unable to locate the ethercache point. Therapaint completed the cache today. Not sure how specific the location is. TP had a little trouble picking up rhe first one until he was right on GZ. He said that the rest came up quick and easy. He also had the wifi. Connection on after the first one. I had also set up EC points with unsecured wireless connections at the same locations so that ipod Touch coulx also be used.

There is no way to edit, delete or otherwise change the EC s. No online access or listing of EC s. They are not tied to the individual that created it. They simply exist. I did see something on their site that they were going to add photo and altituxe capabilities to the app.

The only directions I could find are all the same as the blurb from the app download sites. I did notice that the droid and iphone versions are different but similar enough that you could figure it out if you had used one or the other. Sometimes it may take time to get a response from the server when searching buf they are placed as soon as you embedd it ( or whatevee the term is on the droid)