GeoBasic App for Windows Phone 7 and Opencaching

Geocaching Software Discussion
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
GeoBasic App for Windows Phone 7 and Opencaching

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:56 am

OK, I know we have a small community, and I'm probably the only person to ever find or hide a cache on OCUS who has a WP7. But I did find a Geocaching App by a European Author that supports the Opencaching Network, but only .pl, .org.uk, and .us!! http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/ ... 108bbf0b18

Works excellent for OCUS, throws caches on the map pretty quick, and even shows images on the cache pages. Haven't tried to navigate to a cache with it yet, and I'd probably never use it to post a log for a cache, but I assume that works fine too. It also works for Geocaching.com, and I believe it to be TOS compliant over there, as it accesses the Geocaching.com mobile website only, wap.geocaching.com. We wouldn't want the author to be accused of the horrific crime of "site scraping" in this day and age of open API's. :lol:

The fact that it's only good for .pl, .org.uk and .us brings up a question for RVRoadTrip and/or Coffee Pedlers; I remember hearing something that Opencaching.pl and Opencaching.us (as well as opencaching.org.uk, I assume) use a different "site template", or "version" of the Opencaching website. Did I hear this right? Could you explain in Layman's terms?
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: GeoBasic App for Windows Phone 7 and Opencaching

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri May 04, 2012 9:45 pm

Me again. I've now used this thing to find a few OCNA exclusive caches. Just has a a tiny little compass rose in the upper right hand corner of the map screen, not a full page compass like most Geocaching apps have. This compass is quite erratic. But it "counts down" to the cache quite accurately, if you're walking in the right direction. If you have it set to Imperial units, it gives you the distance in yards, abbreviated by "y", but I think this may be a mistake by a European author, it seems to indicating feet away, not yards, to me. Then again, the metric unit of Meters is roughly equivalent to Yards, not feet. Maybe it is intentional. So there you have it, a review if we ever get another OCNA WindowsPhone App user. Although that'll probably never happen. :mrgreen:
ImageImage

UMainah

Post by UMainah » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:39 am

I noticed the developer has taken down GeoBasic and has launched a new app called OpenBasic http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store ... 0b47fddfa3

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:55 am

Cool. Hard to tell from the description if it offers full live support or if it has basic waypoint (or other) search options similar to what c:geo had before the recent update.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:39 am

DudleyGrunt wrote:Cool. Hard to tell from the description if it offers full live support or if it has basic waypoint (or other) search options similar to what c:geo had before the recent update.
Full live support. Ironically enough, I just went Android yesterday. Sort of a birthday present to myself. My WP was 2.5 years old, and the charging port was puking out. HOWEVER, as some of you may or may not know, if you keep an old smartphone, (a lot of people trade them in) your phone will continue to work on the internet with wifi. It's like having a free mini-tablet! I have downloaded it, and it works exactly the same as GeoBasic, just without Geocaching.com support. Thanks for discovering this, UMainah!
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:52 am

I absolutely can no longer find Geobasic on a search of the WP Marketplace on the phone, although the link in my OP from way back when still works.
ImageImage