Distance Guidelines

About the Opencaching Site
jeffbouldin
Distance Guidelines

Post by jeffbouldin » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:13 am

I was out looking to place a cache and found that where I wanted was about 200-250 feet from one of my others, however there was a river in between. It would be about a 1 mile hike to get the other. What is the intent with this guideline? Is it to keep people from accidentally finding the wrong cache? Or is it the same reason as Groundspeak? Would my situation be an acceptable exception to the guidelines?

glorkar

Re: Distance Guidelines

Post by glorkar » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:24 am

I had a cache denied on GC for that same reason. I was told that since the creek (about 50 feet wide)freezes over in winter (which it doesn't), then it would be too close because people would walk across the ice instead of around to a bridge (which they wouldn't.) In my opinion, if the water is not crossable by means other than boat or swimming, I think it should be okay. Because seriously, if it's more difficult, it debunks the "shortest route" theory for denial.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

jeffbouldin

Post by jeffbouldin » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:48 am

At one time the GC guidelines talked about exceptions. I just checked and they have been removed. My personal experience and from talking to a few others it seems they do not provide exemptions to the distance guideline anymore.

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:30 pm

The intent of the guideline is to prevent clusters of caches or cache saturation in any particular area and to prevent accidentally finding one and logging another. Caches too close together is just plain bad for the sport. However, this is one of those situations where common sense should prevail. If there is a river between the caches (not a shallow creek, not a babbling brook and no nearby bridge), then I don't see a problem with it.

jeffbouldin

Post by jeffbouldin » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:47 pm

Great! I'll get back and put out an OCUS only cache in that spot.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:10 pm

RVRoadTrip wrote:The intent of the guideline is to prevent clusters of caches or cache saturation in any particular area and to prevent accidentally finding one and logging another. Caches too close together is just plain bad for the sport. However, this is one of those situations where common sense should prevail. If there is a river between the caches (not a shallow creek, not a babbling brook and no nearby bridge), then I don't see a problem with it.
Ah, reason prevails. Another reason I like this site!
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image