Previewing a cache submission.

About the Opencaching Site
GOF
Previewing a cache submission.

Post by GOF » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:56 pm

Is there a way to preview a cache page before submitting it?

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Previewing a cache submission.

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:52 pm

I was about to answer, but checked the submission form to give you an exact answer.

I no longer see the option to set the cache as "Not ready to be searched" (or something like that), that used to be there?

RVRT - Am I missing something? Was this a purposeful change?
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:50 am

No change has been made in this regard. When submitting a new cache it is sent for approval. Once approved, it is flagged as "Not Yet Available" and with this setting the submitter can make all the changes he/she needs to, including determining when it will go live. Once it has been published by the submitter from this page, it will never again show the option to publish it later. However, the submitter can change the status to "Temporarily Unavailable" so it won't be seen unless someone specifically searches for inactive caches. The submitter can edit the cache at any time unless it has been set to "Blocked by OC Team".

One thing you may miss is that I can set the status to "Not Yet Available" but that option is not available to users. Users can only set it to "Temporarily Unavailable". There is a difference. :)

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:03 am

Let me see if I'm picking up what you're laying down. When submitting a cache, you need to fill out the form and click the "Hide a cache" button. Then, the cache owner can set it to "Temporarily Unavailable"?

I ask, because when I bring up the submission form, I do not see the option to set the "in progress" cache as "Not Yet Available", as I used to. I liked that option because the cache could be kept from even submitted for review until the page was a actually complete.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:39 am

DudleyGrunt wrote:Let me see if I'm picking up what you're laying down. When submitting a cache, you need to fill out the form and click the "Hide a cache" button. Then, the cache owner can set it to "Temporarily Unavailable"?

I ask, because when I bring up the submission form, I do not see the option to set the "in progress" cache as "Not Yet Available", as I used to. I liked that option because the cache could be kept from even submitted for review until the page was a actually complete.
No, when submitting a cache you do not see any options for cache status. By default it is set to "Hidden Pending Approval". Once it is approved, it is set to "Not Yet Available". It is at this point the submitter can make edits, change the status, add images, etc. It has been this way since day 1.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:04 am

Maybe it's a Monday thing, but I was certain that I was able to set that before. Unless anyone else come forward, I'll assume it is me that has a "case of the Mondays" and not you. :?

Can I take a nap, now? No? OK, guess I'll just have to walk over to the cafeteria in the rain.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

GOF

Post by GOF » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:25 pm

Thanks for the quick response. To bad we can't work on it, view the results, and work on it some more before submitting it. Oh well.

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:36 pm

GOF wrote:Thanks for the quick response. To bad we can't work on it, view the results, and work on it some more before submitting it. Oh well.
You can work it all you want before making it live for searching, but the initial submission needs to be approved. Not a big deal, lots of folks submit them, get approved then take their time fine tuning it before changing the status to "Ready for Search".

GOF

Post by GOF » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:52 pm

Oh, I agree. Not a big deal. It just seems kinda backwards to me. I'd think that, at least with those few you "review", you'd want to see what the final product was going to be. Oh well, thanks for the quick responses.

BlueStone

Post by BlueStone » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:57 pm

I was thinking along the same lines as GOF.
Just seems like it would save the "reviewers" some work trying to approve half-done caches.
Not to mention, what if someone submits one "undone", it gets approved, and then the CO completes setting it up, with something that may not fly?