Greeting and Introductions

Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia

Moderator:glorkar

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Greeting and Introductions

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:14 pm

Following glokar's example from the East North Central division, I'm adding a introductions thread for the South Atlantic area.

I call Jessup, Maryland home, but frequently cache anywhere between Delaware, Maryland, Washington, and Northern Virginia.

"DudleyGrunt" goes back nearly 25 years now. A good friend, employer, and comic shop proprietor, Steve gave me and a number of my friends both individual nicknames and a collective nickname, The Nimrods. Other names included, Squiggy Loot, Buster Nibbs, Oscar Newton, and Deacon Farley. To the best of my knowledge, only DF has done any caching and that was just a near home with his kids.

Though, I first of geocaching from our Program Manager at work in 2002, I really didn't quite get it. I have been geocaching since May 30, 2006, when I was introduced to it by my uncle, ROOKIE49. Along with OpenCaching, I am active on TerraCaching, Navicache, and...umm...that other site...umm...Groundspeak.

I've taken it as sort of my personal mission to promote the existence of "alternative" geocaching services to the general geocaching public. Toward that end, I've set up a Facebook group called Geocachers Unlimited. Check us out.

I'm active on my local caching groups, Maryland Geocaching Society and Northern Virginia Geocaching Organization. There are also two global caching groups, GeoCachers 4 Christ and the Military Assocition of GeoCachers.

When I'm not caching, I may be wearing one of several hats, including Assistant Scoutmaster for Troop 424 in Savage, MD or being active with at my church, First UMC in Laurel, MD.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

czar7

Re: Greeting and Introductions

Post by czar7 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:53 pm

I will add my intro to the list.

Hi...I'm Czar7 (Dave),

I reside in Reisterstown, Maryland. I mostly cache in the local area but take any chance or vacation or business trip I get to cache in other areas.

I started caching in June of 2009 when I saw a quick write up about it on a local blog and found that there was a cache about 1/2 mile from my house. I went out at lunch and found it. The next day I took my 10 year old daughter to find another and we were hooked. Well...I was hooked and she likes the trips and walks in the woods!

The name czar7 comes from my college fraternity nickname (given to me for the way I ran the fraternity when I was president), combined with my initiation number. I was a founding member of the chapter at Towson University...so my number is very low. When I went to create my first e-mail account, I used the nickname and number and it stuck.

I am active (to the extent that time allows) in the Maryland Geocaching Society and over on the Podcacher forums.

Beyond caching...I am an amateur astronomer, Ravens fan, and follow NASCAR. I also spend some time coaching recreation council basketball and softball.

At first, with geocaching, it was all about the numbers...but recently it has become about the experience and trying to provide a good experience for others. Over the last 2 or 3 months I have spent much more time hiding caches than finding them.

Thanks for reading!
Czar7

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:08 pm

Maybe we should change the name of this thread to "Daves of Maryland". Heard your name on Podcacher this morning. Of course, it's been one of those Mondays where now I can't remember the context.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Shilo

Post by Shilo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi. I'm a Dave(or David) as well. I'm not from Maryland. I'm in Hiram, GA.

I cache within my state mostly and in Indiana when visiting my sister around holidays. I started in March, 2004 at geocaching.com. Started an account at Terracaching in December, 2005.

Found this place today while reading the Terracache forums trying to get another sponsor due to my inactivity over there.

Only 1 cache in the state of GA so I have some work to do. 74 miles away at that

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:39 pm

Welcome! I occassionally visit family in NE GA (Young Harris, near Lake Chatugue). So, are you planning to get some caches out?
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Shilo

Post by Shilo » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:17 am

I'm planning on it. I'm sure I can get a few geocachers from around me to check out this site and help me get it going in my area. I'm just west of Atlanta so it shouldn't be to hard.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:06 am

Cool. Make yourself at home on the forums and let us know if you have any questions or comments on the site or our processes.

Happy Trails!
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Mother Wolf

Post by Mother Wolf » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:23 am

OK I'm not a Dave but thought what the heck......My name is Dalene (there is NO 'R' in my name for those who don't know me, actually for those that do know me also LOL). I live on the Isle of Kent, which is a small island in the Chesapeake Bay. My geonick is Mother Wolf & I have been caching now for I guess about 4 yrs. How time flies when you're having fun. My geonick comes from my friends in the deaf community. I adopted a wolf many yrs ago & have been an advocate for their safety & protection ever since so it just seemed like the name to use.

Right now I cache mainly in the Md., Va., Delaware, Jersey, Pa. & W. Va., area however I also do caching in Az., Ca., & Illinois when traveling.

I stopped by here because my good friend Dave (DudleyGrunt) is pro active with this site & seems to be a good leader when it comes to finding alternate options to improve caching. So I will tag along for awhile & see how things go & maybe in time will also be placing some caches here. Thanks for lead Dave. MW

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:11 am

Welcome! Look forward to logging your OCUS hides.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Cachegeek

Post by Cachegeek » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:14 am

Welcome!
ImageImageImage