Apps that access Opencaching.us

Discuss the iPhone and the Apps
RVRoadTrip
Site Admin
Apps that access Opencaching.us

Post by RVRoadTrip » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:10 am

Users of and programmers for the iPhone are welcome to access the cache data on our site.
All we ask is that your app does not adversely affect the operation of the site.
For information about accessing the site via XML, please read http://www.opencaching.us/doc/xml/ocxml11.txt.
If you have any other questions regarding this subject, just let me know.

RVRoadTrip (Jerry)
OC US Admin

slycrel

Re: Apps that access Opencaching.us

Post by slycrel » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:43 pm

You guys should make this information more accessible. I had no idea this would be possible until I heard something about it on the opencaching.com forums, and I even looked for it a few months ago on the main site.

Do all of the opencaching.xx sites (other than the new .com site which is garmin's) share a common database? If I were to make an iPhone app would I have to try and figure out which site was appropriate to gather data from?

Thanks!

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:52 am

Unfortunately, none share a database. That is something the core devs are working on but there is no info available about it yet. The OC.com site is NOT affiliated in any way with any of the official opencaching sites in the various countries, including this one.

SparrowsGold

Post by SparrowsGold » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:07 pm

It sure would be nice to have an iPhone app for OCUS!

Aren't there any Geocaching-Developer out there!

noomi

Post by noomi » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:05 am

Thought I'd give you guys with iphones a heads up on the Geosphere app. I know alot of people dont know about, and when I've tried to discuss it on the GC forums they did a pretty good job of censoring it. In my opinion its light years ahead of the GC app, with its only flaw being that it couldn't scrape data from the GC site for on the fly caching, which of course is not the apps fault. It can upload GPX files, so you can manage you caches on GSAK and export a gpx file to the phone via email. It also has a great filtering setup, and the map integration is seamless. I posted up a new topic on the geosphere forums requesting they add integration with OCUS, and in the past they've been very receptive to suggestions. So hopefully its a feature we'll see soon.

zstatman

Post by zstatman » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:23 am

Don't forget us Android folks

:o

ZStatman
Montana 650
Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro Phone
"It is all in the search!"
Florida, USA

=========================================
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt (anonymous)

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:49 pm

noomi wrote:Thought I'd give you guys with iphones a heads up on the Geosphere app. I know alot of people dont know about, and when I've tried to discuss it on the GC forums they did a pretty good job of censoring it. In my opinion its light years ahead of the GC app, with its only flaw being that it couldn't scrape data from the GC site for on the fly caching, which of course is not the apps fault. It can upload GPX files, so you can manage you caches on GSAK and export a gpx file to the phone via email. It also has a great filtering setup, and the map integration is seamless. I posted up a new topic on the geosphere forums requesting they add integration with OCUS, and in the past they've been very receptive to suggestions. So hopefully its a feature we'll see soon.
Thanks!
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

milo299

Post by milo299 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:38 am

RVRoadTrip wrote:Users of and programmers for the iPhone are welcome to access the cache data on our site.

RVRoadTrip (Jerry)
OC US Admin
opencaching is verry usefull, I'll wait apps work on IOS.

zstatman

Post by zstatman » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:28 am

c:geo allows sign-in to OU and cache access

ZStatman
Montana 650
Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro Phone
"It is all in the search!"
Florida, USA

=========================================
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt (anonymous)

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:30 am

zstatman wrote:c:geo allows sign-in to OU and cache access
Yep. They've been great in a adding functionality for the OC community over time. They're pretty much fully functional with live mapping and logging now. I'm not sure off hand what I can't do thru c:geo that I would expect to do in an app.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image