Idea for a BIT

Bound ID Tag Caching
NativTxn
Site Admin
Idea for a BIT

Post by NativTxn » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:17 am

Do you think it would work if you attached a BIT to a GC Travel Bug? It could travel from cache to cache on the GC site while doing advertising and counting as a smiley on OCUS. I know someone used an OCUS patch as a Travel Bug. Is it still active on the GC site or have they taken it down?
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Idea for a BIT

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:02 pm

I had sfcchaz ask the same thing. I'm for trying it. You're right about the OCUS patch TB.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

wd1j

Post by wd1j » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:52 pm

NativTxn wrote:Do you think it would work if you attached a BIT to a GC Travel Bug? It could travel from cache to cache on the GC site while doing advertising and counting as a smiley on OCUS. I know someone used an OCUS patch as a Travel Bug. Is it still active on the GC site or have they taken it down?
That sounds like a good idea. I just might have to give it a try. As far as the OCUS patch Travel Bug. I think it got stuck in GA. When last I checked.
It's all about the thrill of the hunt.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:15 pm

I have a moving cache that I added a BIT to along with GC travel bug and a geokretey.
The finder gets a GC find, an ocus moving cache find, a BIT find, GC travel bug find, a geokrety find. Possibly a GC cache that it is found in and possibly one more find on GC if they hide it in another GC cache they had not found before.

My hope is that it will travel through GC caches and introduce finders to ocus through something they are already familiar with. Even if they don't log on ocus they will be able to move the cache along. If they scan any of the codes they will at least see it. Bring a true moving cache they can chose to hide it on its own.

Any strange spellings or choices of words are the fault of autocorrect

wd1j

Post by wd1j » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:47 pm

TermiteHunter, I like that idea. Sounds like a good one and it gives me some ideas of my own. Defiantly like moving caches. 8-)

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:51 pm

wd1j wrote:
NativTxn wrote:Do you think it would work if you attached a BIT to a GC Travel Bug? It could travel from cache to cache on the GC site while doing advertising and counting as a smiley on OCUS. I know someone used an OCUS patch as a Travel Bug. Is it still active on the GC site or have they taken it down?
That sounds like a good idea. I just might have to give it a try. As far as the OCUS patch Travel Bug. I think it got stuck in GA. When last I checked.
That's owned by DJCreekCachers, and it's on my watchlist. It does sound like it was lost in Georgia, but there's always hope for any TB.

BIT cache as a TB? I think if someone "reported" it, Groundspeak might actually lock it. But who's going to report it, really?
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:16 pm

Mine is definitely more than a BIT cache travel bug. They already have mini moving caches attached to travel bugs. They just don't recognize them as caches. Infiltrator is an actual moving cache on ocus along with a BIT. They really can't restrict it. Even if they deactivated the TB it can still travel as a moving cache and the geokrety

Right now I'm thinking of letting it make the round s here locally and if it doesn't leave the area on its own I'll place it in a wormhole cache that will send it to upstate NY near another area of ocus caches.

wd1j

Post by wd1j » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:27 pm

I would like to see it make it's way up here to NH. That might be kinda fun.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:35 am

TermiteHunter wrote:Mine is definitely more than a BIT cache travel bug. They already have mini moving caches attached to travel bugs. They just don't recognize them as caches. Infiltrator is an actual moving cache on ocus along with a BIT. They really can't restrict it. Even if they deactivated the TB it can still travel as a moving cache and the geokrety

Right now I'm thinking of letting it make the round s here locally and if it doesn't leave the area on its own I'll place it in a wormhole cache that will send it to upstate NY near another area of ocus caches.

Wow, great idea. We could definitely start using those Wormhole caches to send moving caches to our little pockets of OCNA strength. Charlotte, Dayton, Ohio, Western NY, Baltimore, Where ever the heck NativTxn lives, etc....
ImageImage

wd1j

Post by wd1j » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:57 pm

I guess I'm missing something. What's a wormhole cache?