New Virtual

Discussion about virtual caches with a historical theme.
jeffbouldin
New Virtual

Post by jeffbouldin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:32 pm

I just wrote up my first historical virtual cache. It is for the Hermitage Hotel in downtown Nashville. While writing it up I noticed that it opened on Sept. 17, 1910. So I have set the cache to go active on Sept. 17, 2010. I couldn't find the time of the day the doors opened so I set it for 7am. So the question is, who is going to book a flight to get down here and be FTF? Come on! You know you want to!

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: New Virtual

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:55 am

Darn! I'll be camping with our troop, otherwise I'd be all over it! If I grabbed all your other OCUS caches, I'd easily break away from the other "elite" finders on here. Hmmm....

On another note - is the cardinal in your avatar pic, supposed to be wearing a hat?
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

jeffbouldin

Post by jeffbouldin » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:02 am

And glasses! My daughter had that pic, sans hat and glasses, as her desktop wallpaper. I kept using Microsoft Paint to draw things on it and replace her wallpaper with my creations (one time it had a jet pack and crash helmet). So to get me back she went on my gc.com account and uploaded this one as my avatar. I kind of liked it so I left it.

history-cacher

Post by history-cacher » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:43 am

jeffbouldin wrote:I just wrote up my first historical virtual cache. It is for the Hermitage Hotel in downtown Nashville. While writing it up I noticed that it opened on Sept. 17, 1910. So I have set the cache to go active on Sept. 17, 2010. I couldn't find the time of the day the doors opened so I set it for 7am. So the question is, who is going to book a flight to get down here and be FTF? Come on! You know you want to!

I personally like ancient native american sites and places which has an archeological significance. Many others too. I am working up a survey to determine what any
particular people groups interest in history is.

jeffbouldin

Post by jeffbouldin » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:52 pm

I'm more interested in places that shaped the places we live in today. Railroad history is one of my favorites. It is probably one of the biggest things that has shaped how America developed,

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:46 am

I like just about any thing I was the guy (dork) that stopped to read all those old history road signs :D I have plans on developing a VC next month.

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:49 am

history-cacher wrote:
jeffbouldin wrote:I just wrote up my first historical virtual cache. It is for the Hermitage Hotel in downtown Nashville. While writing it up I noticed that it opened on Sept. 17, 1910. So I have set the cache to go active on Sept. 17, 2010. I couldn't find the time of the day the doors opened so I set it for 7am. So the question is, who is going to book a flight to get down here and be FTF? Come on! You know you want to!

I personally like ancient native american sites and places which has an archeological significance. Many others too. I am working up a survey to determine what any
particular people groups interest in history is.
I have three Native American burial mounds listed, one Tribal boundry marker, and one listing in the Cherokee Veterans Park. The last couple of historical virtuals I have listed, one is famous Hatfield - McCoy feudist Randall McCoy's grave site, and another is about the Pound Gap Massacre at what is now knoen as the Killing Rock. Both of my last two are listed here, and we are in the process of bringing back more of my history caches to OCNA. :D
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:45 pm

Thank you MPH, we appreciate it. Always nice write-ups too. I will try my darndest to be at the Hatfield-McCoy Mega next year. Heck, you may even see OCNA as a vendor. We'll have to see how being a vendor works out at MidWest Geobash, which there is a very high probability we're going to try out first.
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:53 am

Tough I am unlikely to find any of his caches anytime soon, it is nice to see MPH is back at OCus