BIT and the OKAPI

Bound ID Tag Caching
UMainah
BIT and the OKAPI

Post by UMainah » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Is it known that BITs don't work with the OKAPI? It could be a problem on my end or a problem with the particular apps I'm using(Opencaching for Android and Columbus), but BITs don't seem to show up in the apps for me.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: BIT and the OKAPI

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:15 pm

I've seen that they don't work in the apps. I think it slipped off our list for a while. We'll have to see if we can rectify that.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:12 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:I've seen that they don't work in the apps. I think it slipped off our list for a while. We'll have to see if we can rectify that.
One more reason to go out and buy a WindowsPhone. They show up in GeoBasic fine. :lol: Seriously though, they do. Show up on the maps, in a search of caches, and you can navigate to them. I could have sworn I went out Bitcaching with a guy once who was using Opencaching for Android. So you don't even see them on the maps, or looking at a search in list form on those two apps?
ImageImage

UMainah

Post by UMainah » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:44 pm

OK, they do show up in Columbus as "other" for the type. I'm not really a fan of that particular app, it's not that user friendly. As for Opencaching for Android, they don't show up at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:29 am

Yeah, I've heard Columbus isn't all the great. But we can (and do) laud it as free. :D Not that I don't believe you, but we have a crapload of Bit's in my area, and I can have my pal check if he's seeing them. At which point I will ask if they used to show up on Opencaching for Android, as I believe they did, and I even went out bitcaching with him once while I think he was using it. The author had taken that app off the marketplace (or whatever you call it for Android) for over a year, did some tinkering, and put it back up a few months ago. So I believe we will have to contact that author.

The fact remains there are other issues with the special cache types RVRoadTrip added in the early days of this site, and they are going to be a major hurdle in the move to the newer Opencaching.pl code base. :o
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:21 pm

I use Columbus on occasion but I have found that it often is unable to pinpoint my location in order to find nearby caches. Seems to have trouble connecting to the GPS in the Android phone at times.
When out works, it works well for both GC and OCus once you learn it.

Sent from the future with my HTC Wildfire S and Tapatalk

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:08 pm

Fear not! Bit Caches (and we also checked Guestbook caches) show up in OpenCaching for Android. You have to uncheck all filters in settings. Indeed this issue was reported, and figured out over a year ago here. I just didn't know about it, as I'm not a Droid person. I met up with Rayman tonight at the bar he plays trivia at on Monday nights, and discussed it over a beer. Can't go wrong there. Sabrefan7 is the one who figured it out, and actually has had email contact with the developer. He did better than me, the guy didn't answer me when I tried. :D Any further issues, I can direct Sabrefan7 to this thread, but that should work.

P.S. Umainah, as an admin, I can tell you there are many, many more Maine BIT caches in the que, just not active yet. :P
ImageImage