Initial Cache Maps Fix!!

About the Opencaching Site
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Initial Cache Maps Fix!!

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:14 am

UPDATE: Scroll down to post 8, these maps work beautifully if you click one little box. :mrgreen:

OK, Daiursz from Opencaching.pl was kind enough to give fixing our cache maps a go, mostly broken since the Google Maps API upgrade of November 2013. A quick look, and I believe there are still issues. For one, I'm not seeing any owned BIT Caches. Help me out people, and check out your area that you're familiar with, and let me know what you think. I would tend to think most issues would be with "new cache types" that we, Opencaching.us, have invented such as mp3 caches, Bit Caches, Guestbook Caches, dead drops etc..

This is a test server you will be on, which is an image of our website as of Mid-January. http://184.106.197.72/cachemap3.php
ImageImage

Sabrefan7

Re: Initial Cache Maps Fix!!

Post by Sabrefan7 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:19 am

I have to click on "hide caches by type" "other" Then I see icons Full size map still shows nothing along with owned BIT not showing up. I cant get a bubble pop up when I try to highlight a cache

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:26 am

I was just looking at the newest listed cache "sweet & clean" I see nothing at all when i bring up the map

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:33 am

Sabrefan7 wrote:I have to click on "hide caches by type" "other" Then I see icons Full size map still shows nothing along with owned BIT not showing up. I cant get a bubble pop up when I try to highlight a cache
We have a long way to go here. Note the word initial in the thread title. :mrgreen: Zoom out on the entire U.S.; I'll bet 1/4 at best of our caches are shown. The Traditional Cache I found in Cleveland last weekend is not shown (It's our only cache in Cleveland). I do see a few of my BIT caches, but most of my BIT's aren't shown.

What I'm looking for is some sort of pattern. Like all caches of a certain type aren't shown. Right now, what isn't shown seems to be completely random, that's what is baffling me.
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:35 am

Sabrefan7 wrote:I was just looking at the newest listed cache "sweet & clean" I see nothing at all when i bring up the map
Well, that one is a toughie to decide on whether it should be shown or not. Keep in mind the test server is a January 13th, I believe it was, image of the site. :D
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:48 pm

I am seeing until I click to hide "Other type". If I reclick it, everything is still shown.

I do see an event I had tonight, but only listed 2 weeks ago.

I notice I can't drag the map around. I hope we'll be able to fix that.

Also, this new map (and I've noticed this before) don't have the feature where the coordinates where your cursor is are displayed. That was VERY nice feature we used to have.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:39 pm

on the current map ( not the test bed map)
I found a new glitch.

I recently was able to find 2 caches on the OBX in NC, a virtual and a traditional
Both are now marked as "own" in gray. Not the icon with the smiley

As far as the partial fix map goes I get no icons at all on the non-movable map

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:01 am

Thanks for the report on the current maps. Who knows, it may get to the point where we have to get them fixed instead. On the new, do you mean when you first click on that link, there are no caches displayed? That's a symptom of the current maps, although I see caches when I first go to the new map.

Almost 24 hours later, I think I've finally identified some sort of pattern. Caches are much more likely to be displayed if they're in one of our "hotbeds" of activity, with many nearby caches. Buffalo, Baltimore and DC, Charlotte, Central Florida, Dayton Ohio, College Station Texas. Lone caches tend to not show up. We only have about 40 widely scattered caches in all of Canada; I see One cache in the whole Country, near Toronto!
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:17 am

Never mind everything else posted to this thread. GREAT NEWS!! I've just discovered that if you check the "show without score" box, all caches are displayed!! And they all work, and they're all clickable! We are, in reality, very close here!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

By the way DG, OCDE caches are in fact shown.

Also people, be VERY CAREFUL to stay on that test server http://184.106.197.72. Be sure you're logged into the test server, not this website. Make sure http://184.106.197.72/whatever shows in your browser on every page you visit, not http://www.opencaching.us/whatever. I've been tripped up by that several times. By the way, those "/whatever" pages don't exist. :mrgreen:
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:50 am

Ahh....that works. I think I initially had to check that box, then uncheck. At first, it wasn't showing anything, but know whether checked or unchecked, the map shows what it should. And I CAN drag the map AND I see the coords readout. Not sure what was up before.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image