Lets not turn opencaching into waymarking

General Information About Geocaching
KnowsOpie
Re: Lets not turn opencaching into waymarking

Post by KnowsOpie » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:59 pm

I have never submitted a virtual or a waymark that I have not visited and taken the photo myself. That is a hot topic in the waymarking forums now, seems they have been publishing listings where the photos were taken from google street view. Talk about drive-by waymarking. :lol:

Some of my first virtuals were published on Garmin's site, and it's a must to have a strong logging code or allow armchair logs. I opt for visiting the site first and gathering the required information to make a interesting listing with a strong logging code.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:03 am

Bon Echo wrote:
Manville Possum Hunters wrote:As a Waymarker and virtual geocacher I try to make sure my virtuals can not be googled, or that the logging code can not be found on the Waymarking site.

Most of the virtuals listed on geocaching.com are ownerless, but just clicking on the nearest waymarks feature usually have the answers there required to log the virtual.

I enjoy virtuals that have a strong logging code requirement best. Unless the answer is shared, like with puzzle caches, which is most likely a non-issue here on OCNS.

But, to turn OCNS into Waymarking it would have to not function 70% of the time. :lol:
Hey MPH!
My view on virtual's is largely due to comments made on the Garmin brOkENCACHE site back when there was a forum and when I was an active member (under the name HamiltonHomeschooler).
So thanks. Glad to see you active here again.
Brokencaching, I think I'm going to start using that! Except it actually applies to Navicache, which is now so broken you can't even create an account. I remember you two from there as well. I lurked, but only had about 10 career posts which were almost all near the end in one thread. Remember when Arthur and Trillian used to relentlessly troll those forums? He was actually pretty funny in doing so. MPH had log-in problems here for ages, but I finally fixed that for him.

To address something one of you said in another post, I always TRY to get a logging password, but sometimes there's just nothing good around. I'd have to rack my brains for an example, but I've probably created 20 alternative site virtuals over the years (terracaching.com, gpsgames.org and navicache) in addition to this site, and there are a couple "just post a photo of you or your gps at the site" type ones. I've never seen any of the alternative sites have a problem with cheaters. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen it. Knock on wood. :D
ImageImage

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:34 pm

From a Waymarkers point of view, the only difference that I see with so many "virtuals" listed here is the logging requirement. Most of us Waymarkers would prefer that you not be in the photo and submit an art shot of the Waymark and give a brief account of your visit. A so called virtual that only requires a photo of you taken at the site is not my idea of a virtual geocache. A virtual geocache requires a logging task, a code phrase or something found at the site. We have that option here at OCNA to use a code phrase as proof of visit and not post our picture.
From what I am seeing is exactly what this thread is about, turning OCNA into Waymarking. We have the option to make great virtuals without threats of deleting logs over photo requirements.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd