Did I set the OCNA Lonely cache record?

General Information About Geocaching
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Did I set the OCNA Lonely cache record?

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:10 pm

A cache that was placed less than a month after the site launched in 2010, and was found 3 times in less than a month. It was 5 years and 20 days before I came along. Evil Island in Akron, N.Y. a small town about 25 miles from Buffalo. The cache is in a rock wall in a somewhat hazardous area, so I knew it still had to be there. It was awesome to find it, yet an embarrassment to the site at the same time. :o
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: Did I set the OCNA Lonely cache record?

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:09 am

Man, this forum is really dead these days. Worse than ever. TommyGator got FTF on a cross-listed on Terracaching cache in Arkansas today that was created on this site December 2010. But I'm still the champion, until told otherwise. :D
ImageImage

tripman1

Post by tripman1 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:30 pm

Congrats, nice to see an old one found. What kind of shape was it in? I found a few old Navi's that were around 7 years old and survived a forest fire somehow and were still in great shape. I don't see any way to filter for older/lonely caches so did you just have this one on a watchlist?
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:47 am

tripman1 wrote:Congrats, nice to see an old one found. What kind of shape was it in? I found a few old Navi's that were around 7 years old and survived a forest fire somehow and were still in great shape. I don't see any way to filter for older/lonely caches so did you just have this one on a watchlist?
It was actually a film canister (although listed as a small) in a rock wall. So well protected, and in fine shape. Logbook was in a baggie.

Nope, no filter, it was just in a small town about 20 miles from me that I rarely end up in, even as a gps gamer. I just had never looked for it. Quite a few people tried out the then OCUS in my area in 2010, but they're almost all gone on both the hide and find side, this hider being one of them. I know him, and he's still around; he's just a Munzee fanatic now. :D
ImageImage

tripman1

Post by tripman1 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:12 pm

I did a little searching found one hidden in Sept 2010 over in Utah. At least I have on on the radar if I get back over that way.
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:41 pm

Just surfing the forum, I actually beat this record with a virtual in Toronto Ontario, almost 5 years and 2 months after the last find in 2011. http://www.opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=114
ImageImage

Bon Echo
Site Admin

Post by Bon Echo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:34 pm

Sorry, looks like I got you beat on that one.....just barely though
Babes' On The Bruce http://opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=749
6 years, 8 months and 16 days since it was hidden; 5 years, 5 months and 4 days since it was listed. Sadly I was FTF. Wasn't listed until 2011 (although it was hidden in April 2010) and I assume there are lonelier caches out there still to be had.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:08 pm

Bon Echo wrote:Sorry, looks like I got you beat on that one.....just barely though
Babes' On The Bruce http://opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=749
6 years, 8 months and 16 days since it was hidden; 5 years, 5 months and 4 days since it was listed. Sadly I was FTF. Wasn't listed until 2011 (although it was hidden in April 2010) and I assume there are lonelier caches out there still to be had.
I met that cache owner at in event in 2014 I think it was. I told them I was now webmaster (since 2013), and encouraged them to use the site more!! What's the deal on that, was it listed on TC first in 2010? We were launched August 2010, Garmin December 2010, so they couldn't have hidden it for either of us exclusively.
ImageImage