Letterboxing

General Information About Geocaching
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Letterboxing

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:46 am

After finding a couple boxes on Saturday with cylceangela (1 accidentally, 1 on purpose), I've signed up for AtlasQuest & LbNA and will be adding letterboxing to my geocache outings. As a big fan of the "alternative" geocaching sites, this seemed to be a natural progression. Plus, I just found out that there is box at the cupcake place I visit every Wednesday at lunch.

I plan to put out an OCNA Letterbox hide, soon, as well.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

NativTxn
Site Admin

Re: Letterboxing

Post by NativTxn » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:31 pm

There is a Android app called Box Radar. It shows boxes in the general area (depends on hider's accuracy in adding the address since they don't use GPS coords.). You can log them directly from the app for AQ and LB.org.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Last edited by NativTxn on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:13 am

I too am on AQ and LBNA I signed up in '09 but didnt do any thing really till laste year. I now have my own non hand carved stamp.I got that and a log book off Ebay. It matches my LB nick name BTW its not Sabrefan7 8-) I have 20 finds so far. I like the diversion too. Oh and Thanks navtivTxn. Thats a cool app! Just installed it wile Im sitting here and it shows the ones I know about that are close by :)

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:58 pm

I'm not so sure I ever "joined" LBNA, as there are no restrictions for non-account holders to look at clues, and of course there's no logging. If I did join, I've long since forgotten my original username and password. AQ I joined in 2005, and have the low member number of 1,235. I have 24 finds, and most of them were in May 2010, when I went on a little Letterboxing frenzy, for no particular reason. No carved stamp for me, although maybe I'll get around to trying it some day.
ImageImage

chilehead

Post by chilehead » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:02 pm

Mr.Yuck wrote:I'm not so sure I ever "joined" LBNA, as there are no restrictions for non-account holders to look at clues, and of course there's no logging. If I did join, I've long since forgotten my original username and password. AQ I joined in 2005, and have the low member number of 1,235. I have 24 finds, and most of them were in May 2010, when I went on a little Letterboxing frenzy, for no particular reason. No carved stamp for me, although maybe I'll get around to trying it some day.
I'm only 2136. I've got 80 finds, and go on spurts every once in a while. Usually when new series come out and I try for a FTF (nobody seems to care about FTF, so when I want them they are usually up for grabs.) I do have a hand carved stamp that I use for geocaching sometimes as well.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:44 pm

I've been doing a lot more letterboxing recently and now have an F Count of 95 on AtlasQuest, plus 16 non-traditional boxes and 2 on LbNA.

Look who is now included on their Outdoor Activities links page.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:09 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:I've been doing a lot more letterboxing recently and now have an F Count of 95 on AtlasQuest, plus 16 non-traditional boxes and 2 on LbNA.

Look who is now included on their Outdoor Activities links page.
Gee, I wonder who is responsible for that link. :D Thanks though, links in are good. What do you think forum and blog comment spammers are trying to do? 2,000 attempted (but almost all blocked) spam comments to our blog per month can attest to that.

It's a nice related to Geocaching hobby, but it's long since peaked. The last I looked (and it's been a while) worldwide plants have been on the decline since about 2010.
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:32 pm

Seems to be much more active than I thought. At least there are more healthy boxes in the area to find. I have no shortage of boxes to go hunt in my area. I attended my first LB event with sfcchaz about a month ago. AtlasQuest is definitely THE site to use.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

tripman1

Post by tripman1 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:48 pm

After finding my first LB while searching for a cache and wondering "what is this?" I have found several for the last few years. It's a nice addition, and I have been amazed at the quality of the carves. There is a small but active group here and that definitely helps. DG, on your hide are you hand carving?
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:18 pm

I actually have a stamp I found in the woods while caching some time back that is the Chinese (?) character for Happy New Year. I was going to us it for my first and then try out hand carving. Have a friend that has a bunch of extra pink stuff that she's willing to give me some of to play with.

I may hit my 100th AQ traditional box on Saturday.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image