History Caching Basics

Discussion about virtual caches with a historical theme.
glorkar
Re: History Caching Basics

Post by glorkar » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:55 am

A physical container is almost always preferred to a virtual imo. I think the ideal would be to have a multi cache with one of the stages being a virtual so that the finder can't ignore the historical aspect. That being said, sometimes it is just not possible to have a physical container in the desired location.

As far as the password goes, google is a powerful tool. What you might want to do before deciding on a password is try to see if you can find it online yourself. If you can't...go for it!

I may need to be corrected, as I don't know for sure, but I don't believe failed password attempts show up to the cache owner at all. The person trying to log the cache would actually have to contact the CO and ask for help. In that circumstance, you may want to have a set of backup questions you could ask to verify that they were actually there.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:22 am

jeffbouldin wrote:But if I decide to require a password, the finder puts in the wrong one, but I determine they were there, can I let the found it log stand?
It won't let them enter a "Found It" without the correct password. They can, however, enter a comment. If they contact the CO and prove to him/her that they were there, the CO can give them the password and then they can log the find properly.

history-cacher

Post by history-cacher » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:39 am

jeffbouldin wrote:I'm in the process of cross listing several of my caches here to get things rolling in Middle Tennessee. Several of mine are hidden to highlight area of historical significance and the cache page tells the story. Since these are all physical hides do they not qualify? Do all caches in this category have to be virtual? I have been putting the Historical Cache attribute on these. Should that be removed?

Second question is about the password. If there is a plaque or something with words I'm assuming you'd tell the finder to use the third word from the end of the sign (or something to that affect), what if there isn't anything like that? My cache called The Old Mill was hidden because the city has done nothing to let the people of the park know the historical significance of what they are looking at. If I asked what something there was made from one could say stone another rock. Both would be right but one would lose out because they picked the wrong word. Is having an email sent with the answer allowed? That way I would know the finder was there.

Third question is about pictures. Are they always required or can we as the cache owner elect to not require them. I agree that if the cache owner says to post one then the log should be deleted if the finder neglects to do so. But I feel that the owner should be able to not require them if he/she wishes.
At this juncture I would use the KISS principle. "Keep It Simple Sam" I believe the main thing is to find historical locations that people would find it interesting
to visit (some interesting story) and then make it easy to access with something interesting for them to do. I would like to do some traditional caches with Opencache
like I have done with the other service and get some visits.

Historic markers are always a great place to add a cache. But what about ancient cemeteries? Do you think it would be inappropriate to locate a cache in one?

-RKO

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:42 pm

Cemeteries and places of worship should always be respected. Placing caches at the perimeter of such places is OK but not on or near headstones, markers, mausoleums, etc. If one of the grave sites is a historical figure, that would be a good virtual cache. A traditional cache could be placed at the edge of the same cemetery in some manner.

jeffbouldin

Post by jeffbouldin » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:02 pm

I love finding caches in old cemeteries. Over on geocaching.com they quit publishing them in Tennessee because of an ancient law that no one has ever been convicted under making it a Class E felony to play any game or be at any amusement in a cemetery. Then, because of people lying to the reviewers to get them published, they had to put a 528 foot buffer zone around them. How will it go on this site? Will they be disallowed also?

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:41 am

I have this one ttp://www.opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=185 The main thing to a cemetery is common sense. No going at night dont place it by any markers or in stone walls. In an open forum such as this we need to rely on the CO being honest and diligent. Along with TN I think SC has banned cemetery caches

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:50 am

As the ToS states, all local laws must be obeyed. If your state prohibits cemetery caches, then don't place them. Even though some may disagree with a law, we must abide by it so keep that in mind when placing caches. You do not want to give yourself, geocaching or this site a bad reputation.

jeffbouldin

Post by jeffbouldin » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:07 pm

Sabrefan7 wrote:I have this one ttp://www.opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=185 The main thing to a cemetery is common sense. No going at night dont place it by any markers or in stone walls. In an open forum such as this we need to rely on the CO being honest and diligent. Along with TN I think SC has banned cemetery caches
That is the biggest misconception about cemetery caches in Tennessee, The State of Tennessee has not banned caching in cemeteries. This is a law that has been on the books for about 100 years that no one has ever been convicted under.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:39 pm

I'd agree that the main point, in addition to any local ordinances, is to be respectful. There a number of ways to bring someone to cemetery without placing a container in an inappropriate location.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

gundark2000

Post by gundark2000 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Yes, the state of SC has a ban on cemetery caches. It's not a law, but an agreement between the state gov't and the SC cachers that no cache container will be placed in or near any cemetery. From what I've heard, caching was almost banned altogether in SC back in 2005 (rumor?) There are still some virtuals in place though. I'm wondering if new vertuals would still be allowed (not that I'm planning on placing one in a cemetery) there's many historical areas and cemeteries that would be perfect for a virtual.