Why Opencaching?

Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia

Moderator:glorkar

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Re: Why Opencaching?

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:46 pm

RVRoadTrip wrote:we will flag the cache as "Temporarily Unavailable". The system will then automatically keep trying to contact the CO and if the CO does not fix the problem, the cache is automatically archived.
What if the owner marks it as Temporarily Unavailable, will automatic archiving occur if it is TU for a set time period? I'm thinking aboutan issue that can't be resolved immediately (perhaps construction at the site).
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:52 pm

That's a good question.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:01 pm

Currently, the automated archiving is set as such:

Once a cache is flagged as Temporarily Unavailable, the clock begins ticking. 90 days after it was marked it will contact the CO reminding them that the cache is still unavailable and it should be corrected. 90 days after that, it will contact the CO yet again. 90 days from that it will auto-archive the cache. All that being said, the CO gets 9 months to fix his/her cache. If construction or other obstacle prevents the cache from being replaced within that time frame, the cache should simply be relocated.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:10 pm

RVRoadTrip wrote:Currently, the automated archiving is set as such:

Once a cache is flagged as Temporarily Unavailable, the clock begins ticking. 90 days after it was marked it will contact the CO reminding them that the cache is still unavailable and it should be corrected. 90 days after that, it will contact the CO yet again. 90 days from that it will auto-archive the cache. All that being said, the CO gets 9 months to fix his/her cache. If construction or other obstacle prevents the cache from being replaced within that time frame, the cache should simply be relocated.
9 months seems reasonable.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

badlands

Post by badlands » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:57 pm

I don't have anything against groundspeak and I will continue to use their listing service but I don't believe they should define what the caching experience will be either. It all comes down to the value of choice. If you don't support other organizations you're ability to choose may not be there in the future.

Mother Wolf

Post by Mother Wolf » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:35 am

WHY? Many reasons. My good friend DudleyGrunt is always looking for new places as options for caching & perhaps improvement in the over all aspect & introduced me to OCUS so I wanted to check it out.

I have the majority of my caches currently listed on GC.com but have also listed caches on NC & WM. I understand the logic of each site wanting to be the sole home but ATT it met my needs the best to utilize multiple sites. Reason for this is that GS doesnt allow virts & the distance restrictions, but ATT does have a larger selection of caches. NC was a possible alternate for listing caches with the freedom of write ups & distance plus allowing logos that were important to me & my standing in the community. WM has my virts, which all lean toward historical sites & military, EMS & Police importance without restriction to distance & the general purpose of them which is to bring attention to their importance in our lives & freedoms which isnt allowed to be expressed with GS.

So right now I still use all 3 of the above. It seems ATT that OCUS will allow/has all of what I am looking for except the quantity of caches however that may continue to grow as time goes on. Sooooo.......I will continue to follow along & hope that the numbers here continue to grow & this site becomes as successful as hoped for. Good luck & soon I will also add a few caches to the list to help out where I can.

Thanks to those putting forth the hard work to make this all go well. It will be a interesting adventure. MW

mtnlife

Post by mtnlife » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:25 am

It doesnt require paid memberships. I plan on co-listing my caches from GS to here. The more caches that are listed here the more users we'll get, so I'm all in and will promote this site as much as possible.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:54 am

Thanks. As mentioned in the e-mail I sent you, we especially appreciate unique (OCUS ONLY) hides that give people something new to find.

Welcome to the site!
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image