C:GEO

Apps and Android Phones
MalboroKid
C:GEO

Post by MalboroKid » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Best free Geocaching Soft for your Android.
go to market and try out > CGEO
its for free an all the ownes are so happy with it.
enjoy
greetings from luxembourg/europe

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Re: C:GEO

Post by RVRoadTrip » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:12 pm

It is an awesome app but it pulls data from another site (against their ToS). Once our database begins to fill up, maybe he will adapt it for use here.

cache mates

Post by cache mates » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:52 pm

We use CGEO as well. It continues to improve and as long as it's not raining it's an accurate and wonderful tool.

Pilerman

Post by Pilerman » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:29 am

Has anybody tried loading opencaching.us caches into c:geo yet? I haven't but I may give it a shot this weekend.

gregnotcraig

Post by gregnotcraig » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:39 am

Pilerman wrote:Has anybody tried loading opencaching.us caches into c:geo yet? I haven't but I may give it a shot this weekend.
I've tried the native OCUS and the OC GC formatted GPX files and neither imports.
c:geo is great for GC.com, i agree. He sure got himself positioned as a bur under the geocaching.com saddle, though! "The App Which Shall Not Be Named" and any reference to it is promptly deleted by forum admins :mrgreen:
They just don't like it when someone makes an app that's better than theirs AND doesn't violate TOU (it doesn't, contrary to what "they" say).
Follow me on the twitter @ageekinportland

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:45 pm

I asked if there was a way to add caches from opencaching.us and he just replied with "nope". Of course, he's in the Czech Republic, so I don't know if it'd be easy for him to test anything on it.
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

Pilerman

Post by Pilerman » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:07 am

gregnotcraig wrote:
Pilerman wrote:Has anybody tried loading opencaching.us caches into c:geo yet? I haven't but I may give it a shot this weekend.
I've tried the native OCUS and the OC GC formatted GPX files and neither imports.
c:geo is great for GC.com, i agree. He sure got himself positioned as a bur under the geocaching.com saddle, though! "The App Which Shall Not Be Named" and any reference to it is promptly deleted by forum admins :mrgreen:
They just don't like it when someone makes an app that's better than theirs AND doesn't violate TOU (it doesn't, contrary to what "they" say).
I think they removed the ban on mentioning the name in the forums now that they have an Android app out. Thats what I had heard a while back once their app was released. They may have put the auto filter back on now, Idk

gregnotcraig

Post by gregnotcraig » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:26 pm

Pilerman wrote:
gregnotcraig wrote:
I think they removed the ban on mentioning the name in the forums now that they have an Android app out. Thats what I had heard a while back once their app was released. They may have put the auto filter back on now, Idk
Oh, it's still very much in effect. The forum "mod squad" trolls the forums there, searching for mention of c:geo, I swear. :lol:

gregnotcraig

Post by gregnotcraig » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:29 pm

NativTxn wrote:I asked if there was a way to add caches from opencaching.us and he just replied with "nope". Of course, he's in the Czech Republic, so I don't know if it'd be easy for him to test anything on it.
He's usually pretty open to requests, but in my own experience... it is HIS app. I've seen some very good suggestions get a similar "nope" because they weren't what he wants in his application.

Pilerman

Post by Pilerman » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:24 pm

I just found out a little more from the maker of c:geo. Here's his dilema: OCUS, OCEU, OCthis, OCthat... if there was a global server like GCCOM he would likely do it. He could do an OCUS but what good would that do anyone outside of the US?
I'm thinking that GCCOM is becoming a burr in his side now. I think I've figured out there game plan, they are going to just keep making changes and making changes and encrypting things as they go. C:geo is already starting to lose some functionality for non-premium GCCOM members and he's struggling with trying to find ways of keeping his app 100% functional for both member types. GCCOM is adding CAPTCHA to some of their features.
Regardless what GCCOM is trying to do, when OCUS takes off and really starts cooking, I'll dump GCCOM!!!!