NEW to OC.US...Where's the caches?

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

Moderator:glorkar

Yawppy
NEW to OC.US...Where's the caches?

Post by Yawppy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:05 pm

Exploring the OC.US site, stumbled into the NE Division one spot. Wonder if they still need a moderator for this busy forum!

Well tomorrow gonna place a few OC caches, see if they take off, after all I have an entire state at my disposal!

So just wanted to say ello, see if there are any others out there!

zstatman

Re: NEW to OC.US...Where's the caches?

Post by zstatman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:19 am

Welcome, be safe and have fun

ZStatman
Montana 650
Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro Phone
"It is all in the search!"
Florida, USA

=========================================
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt (anonymous)

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:15 pm

Yawppy wrote:Exploring the OC.US site, stumbled into the NE Division one spot. Wonder if they still need a moderator for this busy forum!

Well tomorrow gonna place a few OC caches, see if they take off, after all I have an entire state at my disposal!

So just wanted to say ello, see if there are any others out there!
If you are interested, we could still someone native to NE as the moderator for the forum. RVRoadTrip would want to vet you, but if you are interested, let us know.

Yes, OCUS has taken off a bit more in some areas, than others. We welcome your caches and hope they'll help kick start the site in your area. Which NE state are you in?
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

wd1j

Post by wd1j » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:20 pm

I'm new to OC.US, and was wondering if there is any one in the Manchester, NH area?
It's all about the thrill of the hunt.

wd1j

Post by wd1j » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:35 pm

I've been using this site for just a little under a year now and, I still have to wonder where's the caches. I check on a regular bases to see if new caches have been placed in the area. With the exception to my own listings. I still find no new ones.

I guess this leads me to the question and how to get more interest to this site in my area. I'll still keep putting out caches and maybe they'll be found sometime soon. I also, see a few that I could go and find. That might help.
It's all about the thrill of the hunt.

obxgeek

Post by obxgeek » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:46 am

Hey wd1j,

I would say that you should see who else in your local caching community is not happy with the restrictions or environment on other listing services. Print out some opencaching.us business cards maybe with a list of your local caches on the back with the waypoint code, name and type (assuming you have some non-groundspeak available types) and give them to people if you hear them complain about not being able to do/hide/find something because of the guidelines.

You can also host an event that is cross listed. Hold it somewhere near where there are some active OC.us caches so that people can attend the event and then have some caches to hunt. Even cooler is if you have some brand new caches hidden that are "published" yet that you could hand out the new cache info to people at the end of the event for a FTF dash. With the OC.us ability to submit for review the cache and have it all okayed but you get to pick when it goes live it gives you much more flexibility on these types of timed publishing.

You have taken the first step to getting people to come to the site. You have some caches in your area that are available to hunt. Now you just have to share with people that they are around... Many cachers never leave gc.com and that is their experience. Some may have looked at oc.us when it went live and discounted it because there was nothing to find near them and they didn't want to spend the time to hide a cache that may go unfound for months or longer. The traffic on oc.us is lower than on gc.com. I have a handful of traditional caches that I hid in the Outer Banks NC area over the winter break and at the same time hid a bunch of GC.com caches too. So far the OC.com ones have had one finder where as the gc.com had that in the first day. But the finder liked the caches so you go with it. Just introduce people to the other site and give them a chance. If you can get one other cacher in your area that you are friends with to hide some you are on your way.

obxgeek

Post by obxgeek » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:50 am

Also one thing to be aware of is both of your OC.us caches are cross listed. I personally log those caches on gc.com because that is my primary site. So at the moment the only unique cache is the BIT cache. More oc.us only caches that are awesome might help to draw people over to hunt for these really cool caches.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:10 pm

It is an uphill battle. I promote mine on a local forum, use alternate cache types like bits , moving caches, virtuals, ocus only for almost ask of them. and a series of park and grabs that are unique to up the numbers. our local club has relays from time to time that allow members to suggest caches for others to find for rewards. I am able to include ocus caches there. We also have contest for themed caches. I like to submit an ocus cache for those as well. It takes time but eventually you will pick up a few good hiders to join you so you have something to find too.

In have been with the site since the beginning and am only just now seeing more general acceptance by others in the area.

Give them something different. Give them enough to make it worth checking out. A dozen caches just won't do. And keep talking about it.

here they eventually say ”I have been assimilated”

Any strange spellings or choices of words are the fault of autocorrect

doublestuff

Post by doublestuff » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi,
New to OCUS as well but, It was taking awhile to get a cache approved with a munzee built in. So I listed it here, OU058A. It looks to be the only the 5th cache in MA. I plan to hide a few more.

doublestuff