OCNA Run to Elizabeth, NJ (9 Aug 14)

New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania

Moderator: Sabrefan7

User avatar
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Posts: 2008
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:27 pm
Location: Jessup, MD
Contact:

OCNA Run to Elizabeth, NJ (9 Aug 14)

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:56 pm

sfcchaz and I are planning a run up to (and around) Elizabeth, NJ on Saturday, 9 August.

We will probably be leaving from just south of Baltimore at 5 AM to arrive sometime around 8 AM. Attached is a map of the territory and current caches.

If anyone else from Maryland or elsewhere would like to join / meet us, it you'd be more than welcome. We don't plan head into NYC.
Attachments
OCNA-Elizabeth.JPG
OCNA-Elizabeth.JPG (131.13 KiB) Viewed 7438 times
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Posts: 2145
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:09 pm
Location: York County, Va.
Contact:

Re: OCNA Run to Elizabeth, NJ (9 Aug 14)

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:14 pm

Ah yes, my old stomping grounds. I did a whole year worth of Army Reserve weekends in Westfield, which you can see on that map. The first trip was only 3 months after I started caching in 2003, so I found a ton of caches in New Jersey by 2003 standards. :D Mostly Sparrows Gold caches, I assume? He's a loyal long-time user who hasn't forgotten about our site.

Keep in mind Elizabeth proper is not the nicest or safest City in New Jersey. :mrgreen:
ImageImage

User avatar
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Posts: 2008
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:27 pm
Location: Jessup, MD
Contact:

Re: OCNA Run to Elizabeth, NJ (9 Aug 14)

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:49 pm

Within 50 miles of Elizabeth, not including NYC:

SparrowsGold - 3
GerlRL - 2
PTBilly - 2
mike380 - 1
BlunoMars - 1
streamertyer - 1
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Posts: 2145
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:09 pm
Location: York County, Va.
Contact:

Re: OCNA Run to Elizabeth, NJ (9 Aug 14)

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:29 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:Within 50 miles of Elizabeth, not including NYC:

SparrowsGold - 3
GerlRL - 2
PTBilly - 2
mike380 - 1
BlunoMars - 1
streamertyer - 1
By the way, don't get lost in Plainfield either. :D

From what I remember there's quite a few TC's in that area too, is that a factor for the trip? When you taking SFC Chaz to Charlotte or Dayton/Cincinnati?
ImageImage

Ericles
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:29 pm

Re: OCNA Run to Elizabeth, NJ (9 Aug 14)

Post by Ericles » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:21 pm

Don't forget about this one: http://www.opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=80 Still unfound! :)
Liberty State Park is worth the few extra miles from Elizabeth. There are some TCs in the area too (though currently hard to locate with their maps still not working). Maybe I'll be able to meet up with the road trip as it swings through Central Jersey!
-Eric
"Ericles"

User avatar
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Posts: 2008
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:27 pm
Location: Jessup, MD
Contact:

Re: OCNA Run to Elizabeth, NJ (9 Aug 14)

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:12 pm

Mr.Yuck wrote:From what I remember there's quite a few TC's in that area too, is that a factor for the trip? When you taking SFC Chaz to Charlotte or Dayton/Cincinnati?
Yeah, we'll have TC's loaded, too. OCNA will be our main focus for this trip, but would hate to miss one of them if we were pretty close.
Ericles wrote:Don't forget about this one: http://www.opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=80 Still unfound! :)
Liberty State Park is worth the few extra miles from Elizabeth. There are some TCs in the area too (though currently hard to locate with their maps still not working). Maybe I'll be able to meet up with the road trip as it swings through Central Jersey!
-Eric
"Ericles"
Maybe by the time we get there, TC 3.0 will be up and we'll be able to check them out. For now, I just grab the GPX for all the TC's in the state I'll be in and just see what seems close. Try to load into Google Earth before hand to get an idea, too.

We're probably not headed to NYC as part of this trip and I wasn't sure if traveling around Liberty SP might also be a headache with tourist traffic and such. What do you think? Hope we are able to meet up. Replied to your e-mail with my cell and we'll be sure to try to get in touch.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

User avatar
sfcchaz
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:58 am

Re: OCNA Run to Elizabeth, NJ (9 Aug 14)

Post by sfcchaz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:22 pm

Here's hoping the Terracache site (map) is up and running well by then. :D
Cheers, sfcchaz

ImageImage

User avatar
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Posts: 2008
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:27 pm
Location: Jessup, MD
Contact:

Re: OCNA Run to Elizabeth, NJ (9 Aug 14)

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:03 pm

Mr.Yuck wrote:When you taking SFC Chaz to Charlotte or Dayton/Cincinnati?
Missed this the first time. I really want to get back down to NC for Charlotte and, especially, HeadHardHat's "There Be Dragons" finale. It was missing when I did the rest of the series last year. Thinking of skipping the Labor Day Megas (Hatfield McCoy and Hampton Roads) and head down there then.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Posts: 2145
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:09 pm
Location: York County, Va.
Contact:

Re: OCNA Run to Elizabeth, NJ (9 Aug 14)

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:42 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:When you taking SFC Chaz to Charlotte or Dayton/Cincinnati?
Missed this the first time. I really want to get back down to NC for Charlotte and, especially, HeadHardHat's "There Be Dragons" finale. It was missing when I did the rest of the series last year. Thinking of skipping the Labor Day Megas (Hatfield McCoy and Hampton Roads) and head down there then.
Not a problem, considering this is the most active thread outside of the admin only sub-forum around here since about 2011. :mrgreen: Yes, I'm going to guess about 50 new caches in greater Charlotte have been placed in the last two months on this website. We owe a great debt to Termite Hunter, and his 2 month long local contest. Hopefully our soon to be announced site-wide contest in August will be as successful.
ImageImage

User avatar
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Posts: 2008
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:27 pm
Location: Jessup, MD
Contact:

Re: OCNA Run to Elizabeth, NJ (9 Aug 14)

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:54 am

Coming up. If anyone wants to join sfcchaz and I on Saturday let us know and depending on where you are, we can arrange to meet up.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Post Reply