Considering a NOTG Cache Series

General Information About Geocaching
RVRoadTrip
Site Admin
Re: Considering a NOTG Cache Series

Post by RVRoadTrip » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:08 am

The comment I see the most is that any site other than GC will "only get the rejects". I am not sure if they are referring to the people or the caches when they say that. I just overlook those comments as I don't believe that to be true. I understand that many people are adamant fans of GC.com but I don't think it is necessary to make disparaging comments about people who use sites other than GC.com.

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:57 am

What I find amazing is the lengths those people went to, to figure out what dudleygrunt was planning. His posts were so vague that they could have been referring to the recipe for Pepsi! That means they had to take the time to search the other "evil" sites to see if he had posted more info somewhere.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:00 am

Looks like TermiteHunter had a similar idea: Open Grid.
On his cache, you have to find four different ones on GC to be able to log the final/bonus/mystery on OCUS. Basically the same concept with fewer listing sites.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:48 pm

Yes I did.
I decided to check out OCUS after Dudleygrunt posted in our local forum. There was not much interest among most but I was and am intriqued. I had been planning a small series and decided to use it to draw a few that just could not resist another cache that happened to be listed on another site. I placed two other OCUS exclusive caches in a favorite park and then followed it with the more challenging Open Grid. There is one other member of our local club that has become involved in OpenCaching and recently provided me with my first find opportunity. I have had no resistance or negative comments so far. If they are not interested they seem to just ignore the clue included in the cache or never bother to register.

The Grid series drew about 8 new local members in its first week and a half. So far only two have actually logged finds. I do have one other local cacher that made a find on my 4th hide that has yet to register.

jeffbouldin

Post by jeffbouldin » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:49 am

Great idea. I might have to try that here in Mid TN. I'm guessing the four on GC.com are regulars? Do you have anything in them to point finders to opencaching.us?

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:33 pm

The series of 4 are traditional urban caches of various sizes. The discription on GC only mentions a special bonus commemorating my first LPC find. Inside each container along with the log is a small slip that has one letter to the OCUS cache password and includes the OC# and cache name stating it is listed on OC. It is a continuation along the same theme and placed nearby. My hope was that they would enjoy the first 4 and want to get the 5th in the series. A couple others have stated that they collected the information in the first 4 and I have found that they have registered using the "search user" function.

I had placed the others listed on OC so that there was more to offer in the area rather than just the single bonus cache. My traditional caches are more of the "out in the open but you never knew it was there" variety but that's just me.