THERE BE DRAGONS HERE - My Adventure

General Information About Geocaching
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
THERE BE DRAGONS HERE - My Adventure

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:24 am

Podcaster, blogger, and just all around geocaching enthusiast, HeardHardHat recently published an multi-site series of caches called THERE BE DRAGONS HERE. There are for caches published on Groundspeak, TerraCaching, Garmin, and OpenCaching NorthAmerica that contain info needed to locate at final bonus cache listed on all expect Groundspeak. My understanding is that it couldn't be on there since he wouldn't be able to include the info on how to locate it. Or he'd have had to provide an alternative method that wouldn't involved referencing the other sites.

I attempted to tackle this awesome series "on my way" back home to Maryland form Myrtle Beach on Saturday (7/6). I got into the area around noon and, after picking up lunch arrived at territory of Terra Rector (GC4C1YV) around 1:00. It was a short hike from parking and a quick find. This one was my 3600th Groundspeak find.

Next, I headed to my least familiar of all the lands, that of Glaciem Rex (OXZT60Y). I was able to locate good parking for it and made a quick find as I approached GZ.

From there, I headed off to much more familiar lands to locate Ignis Deus (TCEFA) and (of course) it started to rain. Just barely, at first, but as I arrived at GZ, it was much more steady. Couldn't let a little rain derail my dragon quest, though.

By the time I got back to my vehicle around 2:20, it was coming down pretty hard. Took care of some logging and updated HeadHardHat on my progress.

I headed off to find my last "elemental" dragon, Aqua Imperator (OU063A). Mother Nature was smiling on me, as it had stopped raining and the sun was coming back out, by the time I got my way over to the parking area. Another short hike and I had all the info I needed to locate he the final, Phaedra, Lord of the Dragons.

After some searching, I found parking for the final and made my way toward GZ around 3:00. I was expecting a fairly quick find and then have time to tackle a few more caches before heading toward home.

After an hour of searching, I needed a break and left to refuel and such. Thought maybe that and returning refreshed would result in the quicker find I was expecting. However, by 5:30, I'd become quite convinced that Phaedra wasn't home or didn't want to be found.

That's how the game works, though. I will plan to return, hopefully with one or two friends, to complete the series and to hopefully tackle more of the TerraCaching and OpenCaching North America hides in the area.

Though he was too far away and occupied for me to meet in person, I was able to text HeadHardHat throughout my adventure, particularly in regards to the Phaedra.

I've since heard back from him that he's confirmed it is missing and he'll be replacing soon.

I'll be back to complete my quest.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image