August 2014 OpenCachingNA Diversified Cacher Contest

General Information About Geocaching
DisneyScout
Re: August 2014 OpenCachingNA Diversified Cacher Contest

Post by DisneyScout » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:01 pm

Any idea how many people usually participate in these contests? There don't seem to be many people using the forums. Are we limited to winning only one prize?

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:10 am

There are at least 6 participating in the Charlotte area and posting on the local forum. Only 3 of which are posting on the OCNA forum.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:04 am

DisneyScout wrote:Any idea how many people usually participate in these contests? There don't seem to be many people using the forums. Are we limited to winning only one prize?
In one of our many blog posts on this contest, we announced the creation of this thread, and gave a link to it. We admitted that our forums's weren't very active. However, we also said that classic forums such as this one are dying all over the internet because of Facebook. :mrgreen:

5 people that I know of in my area (Buffalo, N.Y.). There could be more. There has to be 10 in the Baltimore/DC area too. We have 32 separate prizes. I sincerely hope we have more than 32 players!! I never said it out loud, but I guess I was anticipating 50-100. That being said, the intent was always that you could win multiple prizes. And if there's only say 25 entries, you will definitely win multiple prizes! Not a bad deal, eh?

EDIT: Well, I meant to say if there were 25 entries, that *some* people would win multiple prizes. I could imagine someone with only one entry being completely shut out. Then they'd still get a 5% off coupon from Cache Advance if they replied that they want it.
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:40 pm

I don't recall how many were reported as participating in the earlier DC contests

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:28 pm

Disneyscout is putting the rest of us to shame here. What a point hound.
Very impressive

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:48 am

TermiteHunter wrote:Disneyscout is putting the rest of us to shame here. What a point hound.
Very impressive
Disney Scout has not only caputured more Monsters than Mr. Yuck in August (I have 13), she has passed me overall the leaderboard. And Goin'PostNet, who doesn't post here (pun intended) is about to pass me overall as well.

It also looks like DS is only the 6th person ever to reach level 9? Congrats!!
ImageImage

DisneyScout

Post by DisneyScout » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:32 am

:oops: It helps that I run a lot of errands during the day and I did some traveling last weekend. I load up Monster Cache and I end up running over a fair amount of monsters. It's also one of the few things I could convince my youngest Geokid to do with me. He would hold my phone and tell me which way to drive. There are LOTS of monsters in my area. I've also found quite a few Sighters and creating them was much easier than I thought. One thing that bumped me up in Munzees was getting stuck in traffic at the boardwalk end of Ocean City, Maryland. There are virtual Munzees ALL over the place! Move the car 10 feet and there are another 10 within range. I should hit 500 Munzees soon. If I can get a day without rain that I'm not stuck in the house because of installations, I'm going to get some more regular geocaches.

I'm hoping I win something in the drawing. ;-) I'm REALLY hoping to win the GPS unit. I don't have one, yet. :D

GoinPostNet

Post by GoinPostNet » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:55 pm

I've been having fun capturing monsters over the past two weeks. Not sure exactly what the requirements are to reach the next level. I just made level 6 today, but there is a player with 28 fewer captures on level 7...very strange! Anyway, I'm shooting for 200 pts by the end of the month!

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:16 am

GoinPostNet wrote:I've been having fun capturing monsters over the past two weeks. Not sure exactly what the requirements are to reach the next level. I just made level 6 today, but there is a player with 28 fewer captures on level 7...very strange! Anyway, I'm shooting for 200 pts by the end of the month!
Thanks for posting! On the app, go to your profile. You see the little orange square with an arrowhead inside of it in the upper left hand corner? Click on that little arrowhead, and it will tell you your requirements and progress for the next level. Basically, you have to capture X number of monsters whose level is the same as you are at to advance.
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:43 am

DisneyScout wrote::oops: It helps that I run a lot of errands during the day and I did some traveling last weekend. I load up Monster Cache and I end up running over a fair amount of monsters. It's also one of the few things I could convince my youngest Geokid to do with me. He would hold my phone and tell me which way to drive. There are LOTS of monsters in my area. I've also found quite a few Sighters and creating them was much easier than I thought. One thing that bumped me up in Munzees was getting stuck in traffic at the boardwalk end of Ocean City, Maryland. There are virtual Munzees ALL over the place! Move the car 10 feet and there are another 10 within range. I should hit 500 Munzees soon. If I can get a day without rain that I'm not stuck in the house because of installations, I'm going to get some more regular geocaches.

I'm hoping I win something in the drawing. ;-) I'm REALLY hoping to win the GPS unit. I don't have one, yet. :D
There's actually a learning curve moving from a smartphone to an ExploristGC. But should you win, I just happen to have one, and have been using it as my primary unit for almost 3 years now. A surprise Christmas present, and it works fine for me, so being a cheapskate, I can see me rolling with it for at least another year! So I can offer expert tips to anyone who should win it.
ImageImage