August 2014 OpenCachingNA Diversified Cacher Contest

General Information About Geocaching
TermiteHunter
Site Admin
Re: August 2014 OpenCachingNA Diversified Cacher Contest

Post by TermiteHunter » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:55 pm

I have started another thread for participants to report their progress in the contest.
This way we can all see how everyone is doing without creating additional work for our weary admin.
Keep that thread for reporting and post your comments and questions here.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:08 pm

DisneyScout wrote:I have a question. It's August 4th. I have 240 Munzee captures so far and am probably not going to slow down any time soon. What happens if I get say 600 Munzees? Do I get the 100 points, plus an additional 25 points? (500 Munzees = 100 points, 100 Munzees = 25 points)
No, we have capped (pun intended) Munzees at 100 points for Captures, and 100 points for Deploys. You don't even get the 25 points for passing 100, or the 5 points for passing 10. HOWEVER, you can get 200 points maximum for Munzees.

Me, I'll be lucky to get the 5 points for capping 10.
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:15 pm

TermiteHunter wrote:I'm half way there already.
8 monster caches
13 Munzees
My first Geocaching AU

But I have a question... How do you log / Find a Sighter
I went to two today, got to the "HOT", found the sight, took the pic and uploaded (I think)
but have no "finds"
The Help section and app give little information about how to complete the task other than take a pic to verify.

Can some one explain the steps to perform once you are at the sight?
You know, I've created over 50, but have only found a whopping two, so I'll let DG take this one (or NT could answer too). They're starting to be created in my area for the contest, so that will be good for me.

From my limited experience, you can get rejected for your GPS not being accurate enough (under 30 Meters, I believe), or also for your picture not matching closely enough. And you should definitely get messages telling you either in the app.
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:29 pm

Distance should not be the issue. I was within 4 (according to the app) of the location for at least one of them but I'm not sure that I followed the right procedure for sending the pics. I think I hit the share symbol after taking the pic that was virtually identical but nothing happened letting me know it went or what happened. There was some indication that something was happening but I don't know what.
It just was not intuitive so I would like to know exactly what to do once there to get credit for the sight. The locals here have only submitted them and found none.
Any guidance would be helpful.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:10 am

Got it working.
The phone was using the camera rather than the app camera function

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:22 am

I took so long to type my reply, that you figured it out. I was going to say it sounded like you were doing it right. So, from within the app, you clicked the "capture icon" and it used the main camera instead of the app's function?
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

DisneyScout

Post by DisneyScout » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:02 am

Mr.Yuck wrote:I have 6 monsters captured, and yes, we really should have a leaderboard, or I was thinking to just keep people updated in this thread. And if you ever need to do the math, I had 75 monsters captured before the contest.
Are you willing to tell us whether you have unlimited nets? Trying to decide whether to get unlimited nets or not. So far, I have gotten extra coins from referrals and treasure boxes.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:28 pm

Yep for some reason the phone camera would pop up then I didn't know what to do with it after taking the picture. Today the app opened up the in app camera and I got notice that I was successful. Not sure what changed but it worked

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:28 pm

DisneyScout wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:I have 6 monsters captured, and yes, we really should have a leaderboard, or I was thinking to just keep people updated in this thread. And if you ever need to do the math, I had 75 monsters captured before the contest.
Are you willing to tell us whether you have unlimited nets? Trying to decide whether to get unlimited nets or not. So far, I have gotten extra coins from referrals and treasure boxes.
Absolutely! I do not have unlimited nets, and currently have about 20 left. Although I could easily drop $3 for another 25. :D As of the end of the day on August 6th, I have captured 9 Monsters. I anticipate being under 50 for the month. I am going on a little 3 day vacation next week, but that's in a rural area, and they generally end up being in Farmers fields, or otherwise on not accessable private property in those cases.

I have only ever opened one treasure chest, and it had 7 coins in it.
ImageImage

DisneyScout

Post by DisneyScout » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:59 am

Badwolf1197 wrote:After catching a few monsters when I first started last month, I went ahead and purchased the lifetime nets and whatever number of coins that came with it. Bought binoculars...so have nothing else to buy with my coins, lol.
Have you bought the Bucket of Silver?