MP3 and USB caches

General Information About Geocaching
Memfis Mafia
MP3 and USB caches

Post by Memfis Mafia » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:42 am

We have just created our first MP3 and our first USB cache. I've noticed there doesn't seem to be very many of either. My question for this thread is why. Is it simply because they cost more or take more effort? Is it because they are not as much fun to complete?

Why do people shy away from creating MP3 and USB caches?

This especially goes out to those that have created a bunch of traditional caches.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Re: MP3 and USB caches

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:55 am

I have a usb dead drop cache. The 3rd listed on the site. http://opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=1403

We have one of the most active areas for OCNA but few have found it. Only 2 finds in almost 3 years. The reasons why I have been told are. ..few carry a computer to hook up and log. Those that do are afraid of virus infection or damage from a usb out in the elements.

I took the time to tell them what files should be on the drive and really, who is going to find it, have a computer and be willing to plug into a random usb stuck in a wall without some prompting?

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:53 pm

Indeed a database search shows only 3 MP3 caches ever created, and only 6 Dead Drops. That is quite pathetic to admit publicly, I have to say. :D Personally, as a day one member of the site who was still to this day a regular user longer than an admin, I was always a traditional cache kinda guy, although I love the BIT cache concept. I'd still consider BIT's basically a traditional type hide though. I found one of the 6 Dead Drops in 2013, Ohio's first dead drop, outside of Dayton. I thought it was absolutely awesome. MP3 caches? I still think it's a great concept, although not for me, I hate the sound of my own voice, and would be em-bare-assed by it in an MP3 file. Maybe I could have Siri do it for me? Or maybe not, I actually am a droid user. Dead Drop, I'd be willing to try. Especially after seeing the awesome year round weather protected hiding spot of Ohio's first Dead Drop.

I will say, when I have seen our Dead Drop caches brought up in other Geocaching forums, the majority of posters were down on the whole virus thing. And I've seen that concern raised all over the internet about the original dead drop concept (not related to Geocaching) on which they were based. I of course think these concerns are highly overblown.
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:48 pm

I'm planning to start getting additional cache types published around here. Will also be reviewing my existing caches to trim some fat and generally get some higher qality ones out.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Bon Echo
Site Admin

Post by Bon Echo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:48 pm

I'm planning to do a MP3 cache at some point but with a twist (if allowed) - i will leave a small USB player in a container at the posted coordinates (runs of a single AAA battery which the finder will need to bring along). the finder will have to retrieve the player and listed to the single mp3 file on there to get the instructions for the cache. find the cache, return the player to stage 1, done.
I see the mp3 cache type as a Wherigo without the ability to use locations to trigger zones (and also you hear instructions instead of reading instructions). Wherigo is probably my favourite type of cache since it is interactive. The one thing about the mp3 cache type is that you could just listen to the mp3 file at home, make some note, go to the posted coordinates and use your notes to find the cache. That's the difference from Wherigo's which require to you be at specific locations to get the next bit of information. Yes, i understand there are emulators to get around that. that's just my take on it - if you do all your caching on a phone in the field, then you probably just play the file from the field. I use a handheld and have no data plan, so pre-caching prep is key for me. anyway, my idea of using the mp3 player is to ensure the file is not listened to until one is in the field.
As for drop dead, I don't have a laptop and won't hide one because of what I perceive as very low interest. again, that's just my opinion. Maybe if there was a small device that could communicate using NFC, bluetooth or something else, that might get more interest (and I'm sure it's already being discussed in other circles).
I'm interested in adding a variety of hides, but with no active used in my area, I'll mostly stick to traditionals since the (in my opinion) are most likely to get "tried out" by the occasional site visitor or new cacher. Plus there's a small group of users who enjoy finding caches and signing the logs but have no interest in the online portion of the game. A number of time I've found signed logsheets in caches without any online logs to match.
side thought - since wherigos can now be created using "3rd party" programs (I use the Urwigo online builder for my 2-years-in-the-making Wherigo that I someday hope to finish building), any chance they would be approved for posting on this site?

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:00 am

You're MP3 cache idea seems great. I hope to get one out soon similar. My hope has been to do one where it would be much more helpful to listen in the field and follow the directions, similar to what you describe.

Absolutely, Whereigo type caches would be fine. MemfisMafia has published a couple. They would be listed as an "Unknown" (other) cache type.

I just obtained an old 128 MB thumb drive to use for an upcoming USB / Dead Drop cache. I am going to pick up a waterproof matchstick holder that it will fit in and and then maybe find something I can use to hold it in there.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Memfis Mafia

Post by Memfis Mafia » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:01 am

Just a quick follow up. I will be building some original Wherigo cartridges soon that will be OCNA only. I also plan to work on some more MP3 caches to see if I can make them entertaining as well as tied into locations in the field.