Reviving archived G$ virtual caches

General Information About Geocaching
TermiteHunter
Site Admin
Re: Reviving archived G$ virtual caches

Post by TermiteHunter » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:15 pm

I don't know if we can change listed cache types. I will have to try that out if it is not answered first.

I did inform the co about the pending bench mark type but they wanted to proceed with it as a virtual.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:39 am

I just tried it and YES you can change the cache type of an existing cache.
Simply using the edit cache tab, I changed a traditional to a quiz and then back again.
Seemed to work with no issues so it would be possible for any currently listed benchmark cache listed as something else to be changed over to the new BenchMark type once it is offered.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:10 pm

TermiteHunter wrote:I just tried it and YES you can change the cache type of an existing cache.
Simply using the edit cache tab, I changed a traditional to a quiz and then back again.
Seemed to work with no issues so it would be possible for any currently listed benchmark cache listed as something else to be changed over to the new BenchMark type once it is offered.
Cool, thanks. I'm going to say I didn't know that! The php whiz hasn't gotten back to me after 3 days, by the way. That's unusual from what I remember. I'll give him a few more days, and try again.
ImageImage

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:31 am

I always thought it was strange that cache types and coordinates could be altered here after the listing was accepted and published. Kinda reminds me of Waymarking, but seems no too many ever alter things to cheat the system, but it has happened.

I'm interested in the new BM's as a cache type, but know little about how they will be listed. I have my own idea, and I had considered working up a draft before publish.

Any idea on when the new BM caches will be a cache type here?
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:11 pm

Not sure we should refer to them as " BM's". That just sounds wrong.

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:43 am

TermiteHunter wrote:Not sure we should refer to them as " BM's". That just sounds wrong.

I have gotten used to the acronym by now, but my kids sure had fun with it when we created this listing https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3 ... e-for-a-bm

I have my idea of what I would like my OCNA BM Cache listing to look like, and I think it would be great to have it's own thread to discuss them. I have really enjoyed listing them on the Waymarking site. Hopefully here they will be more than just something that somebody took a picture of and listed it as OCNA BM #1.

Here is the BM that I WM'd at that cache site. http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM5E ... arker_1939
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Bon Echo
Site Admin

Post by Bon Echo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:16 pm

Bon Echo wrote:So I see another archived GS virtual is now listed on OCNA. This is one of the First Post virtuals, a cool collection of virtual's in each Canadian provincial capital city.
http://www.opencaching.us/viewcache.php?wp=OU0A31
I am confused however that the listing is linked to the archived GS listing and does not have the OCNA attribute. If it's archived on GS it ain't never coming back, and it seems to be listed here by a different user.
Still, glad to see it. I found two of the First Post caches so far (Toronto and Edmonton) and hope to find others in time.
(as a side note, this does raise one issue for the pending Benchmark cache type: if a particular benchmark is already listed on OCNA as a virtual, can it be listed as a Benchmark? Or changed over?).
Just looked at the listing again. I already made it clear that I love to see archived GS virtuals getting a second chance on life via OCNA.
However, not too sure that the owner of the original listing (outforthehunt) will be thrilled to see his description was copy-and-pasted (read: plagiarized) to create the OCNA listing.
Please, if you didn't write it, don't use it.

Bon Echo
Site Admin

Post by Bon Echo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:26 pm

Manville Possum Hunters wrote:
I have my idea of what I would like my OCNA BM Cache listing to look like, and I think it would be great to have it's own thread to discuss them. I have really enjoyed listing them on the Waymarking site. Hopefully here they will be more than just something that somebody took a picture of and listed it as OCNA BM #1.
You're not the first person to say that...so I took the liberty to start one:
EDIT: I since deleted the post
Because Mr.Yuck started a thread a week ago on the same topic, but i didn;t notice that until later:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1812

Oops
Last edited by Bon Echo on Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:51 am

Manville Possum Hunters wrote:I always thought it was strange that cache types and coordinates could be altered here after the listing was accepted and published. Kinda reminds me of Waymarking, but seems no too many ever alter things to cheat the system, but it has happened.

I'm interested in the new BM's as a cache type, but know little about how they will be listed. I have my own idea, and I had considered working up a draft before publish.

Any idea on when the new BM caches will be a cache type here?
Next week, if we could. But our php whiz didn't answer the first inquiry. I shall try again.
ImageImage

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:27 pm

Bon Echo wrote: Just looked at the listing again. I already made it clear that I love to see archived GS virtuals getting a second chance on life via OCNA.
However, not too sure that the owner of the original listing (outforthehunt) will be thrilled to see his description was copy-and-pasted (read: plagiarized) to create the OCNA listing.
Please, if you didn't write it, don't use it.
I agree, that was pretty cheesey. Did you read in the Groundspeak forums why they listed it here on OCNA? :shock:

The web cam that I created is at the same lighthouse as the still active Groundspeak web cam that has a broken link and the owner seems inactive there now.

But no, stealing someone else's work and publishing it on another listing service is BS. I feel the reviewers here should have questioned that, but as I've said too many times here they accept almost anything. I'm not okay with that either Bon Echo. :oops:
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd