Geocaching survey

General Information About Geocaching
fesphd17
Geocaching survey

Post by fesphd17 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:45 pm

Hello Geocacher,

This request for participation in a survey is part of a research project that will contribute to my doctoral dissertation. I would appreciate your help with this project.

I am seeking to understand geocachers’ opinions about the possible impact that caching may have on the natural environment. You can help by completing the brief survey linked below. It will take approximately 25 minutes to complete the survey. By responding to these questions, you will help create a better understanding about how geocachers view their impact.

If you are a charter member, I am also seeking to understand, if you are still an active geocacher, what keeps you geocaching. If you are no longer active, why did you choose to no longer participate?

If you have found and logged an APE Cache, I am interested in knowing why you might have traveled to find that geocache and how far your travel was from your home.

To participate in this research project, you must be of the age of consent in your location. If you are, click on this link to participate in the survey.

http://oregonstate.qualtrics.com/SE/?SI ... g7fJtbrmdf

Thank you, and happy caching!

Dianna Fisher (FESPhD17)
Doctoral Student, College of Forestry
FESPhD17@gmail.com
541-230-4029

Study PI: Joanne Tynon, Ph.D.
Study Title: Perceptions of Geocaching: Impacts and Involvement

KnowsOpie

Re: Geocaching survey

Post by KnowsOpie » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:47 pm

Done. ;)
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:15 am

Why not, I did it too. Very Geocaching.com centric. Asks for no personally identifiable info aside from your current find count, the rest is rather general to your individual habits and perceptions.

fesphd17

Post by fesphd17 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:45 am

Thank you for posting that feedback. It's not meant to be geocaching.com-centric so much as I wanted to use the "incentives" that I hear people talking about and the nomenclature that is used in the media.

You are right. I absolutely cannot tell who answered the survey and there is no identifying information. I do not know who answers a survey.

Taking this survey will really help me out -- whether you use geocaching.com or open caching. I started this project because of misconceptions that I have heard with land management agencies who think that geocaching should be banned and that geocaches are buried. There is a lot of misunderstanding out there. This impacts all who geocache - not just those who use geocaching.com.

Thank you so much for your consideration.

Dianna

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:32 pm

fesphd17 wrote: I started this project because of misconceptions that I have heard with land management agencies who think that geocaching should be banned and that geocaches are buried. There is a lot of misunderstanding out there. This impacts all who geocache - not just those who use geocaching.com.

Dianna

I could give you feedback about geocaching in Tennessee and Virginia State Parks as well a National Forest lands that require permits and useage fees and cache impact study as I have worked with land managers for cache placements.

It's always been a fear of mine that I will go through all the proper channels and get my permits approved and then there may be other listing services such as this one that may not be aware of the permits required and accept a listing here that needed written permission, and I'm aware of it happening before.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

fesphd17

Post by fesphd17 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:33 pm

that would be fantastic. Thanks! My email is FESPhD17@gmail.com.

I've also seen that for those who do not participate, letterboxing is equated to geocaching also. To those, there is no difference

Dianna

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:51 pm

fesphd17 wrote: I've also seen that for those who do not participate, letterboxing is equated to geocaching also. To those, there is no difference

Dianna
Exactly. I have seen Litterboxes placed in State Parks were permits are required but slip under the radar of land managers.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:59 pm

Manville Possum Hunters wrote:
fesphd17 wrote: I've also seen that for those who do not participate, letterboxing is equated to geocaching also. To those, there is no difference

Dianna
Exactly. I have seen Litterboxes placed in State Parks were permits are required but slip under the radar of land managers.
Litterboxes. You a funny guy. Dianna, did you try to post this thing to the Geocaching.com forums, and were rejected? Just curious. You'd probably get a crapload of responses from all over the world on Reddit, by the way.
ImageImage

fesphd17

Post by fesphd17 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:09 am

I'm waiting for permission for the geocaching.com forums. Article 10 of their guidelines prohibits posting surveys in the forums.

I've posted on several area association forums and facebook pages. Several geocaching e-newsletters have agreed to send it out with their December newsletters.

Tell me more about Reddit? Is it a group of geocachers there?

Dianna

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:15 pm

fesphd17 wrote:Thank you for posting that feedback. It's not meant to be geocaching.com-centric so much as I wanted to use the "incentives" that I hear people talking about and the nomenclature that is used in the media.

You are right. I absolutely cannot tell who answered the survey and there is no identifying information. I do not know who answers a survey.

Taking this survey will really help me out -- whether you use geocaching.com or open caching. I started this project because of misconceptions that I have heard with land management agencies who think that geocaching should be banned and that geocaches are buried. There is a lot of misunderstanding out there. This impacts all who geocache - not just those who use geocaching.com.

Dianna
Are you an active geocacher that owns geocache placements?
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd