Garmin bought Opencaching.com

General Information About Geocaching
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Re: Garmin bought Opencaching.com

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:13 pm

Huh, wha?

OK, I'm a little slow, but it just clicked. I'd thought it was a beaver with those teeth!
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:12 am

Great episode of Geocaching Podcast, last night. It should be available online or through iTunes, etc. sometime tomorrow.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:45 am

They claim to be talking with the OC community. I'd like to know who that is. They have not talked to me (OCUS admin) nor have they spoken to any of the guys who run the other real OC sites. We have a private forum for the OC.xx admins and the general consensus is that Garmin is not being open at all. I think they are trying to do an "end around" run on the opencaching concept.

And since OC has been online for quite a while with an associated logo, the so-called trade mark they are attempting to do cannot be valid. There is already a generally accepted mark associated with the opencaching name.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:27 am

RVRoadTrip wrote:They claim to be talking with the OC community. I'd like to know who that is. They have not talked to me (OCUS admin) nor have they spoken to any of the guys who run the other real OC sites. We have a private forum for the OC.xx admins and the general consensus is that Garmin is not being open at all. I think they are trying to do an "end around" run on the opencaching concept.

And since OC has been online for quite a while with an associated logo, the so-called trade mark they are attempting to do cannot be valid. There is already a generally accepted mark associated with the opencaching name.
I was wondering about a forum for the various "Real OC" admins. I'd really liked the new Map 62CSx of a friend's that I had a chance to check out. Now, a new DeLorme PN 60 is looking better and better.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:47 pm

You know, I wouldn't have had a problem with Garmin owning a listing service. I just truly do not understand the reasoning behind using a pre-existing name. I like alternatives and options, but in all honesty, I hope OCCOM crashes and burns.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:01 pm

glorkar wrote:You know, I wouldn't have had a problem with Garmin owning a listing service. I just truly do not understand the reasoning behind using a pre-existing name. I like alternatives and options, but in all honesty, I hope OCCOM crashes and burns.
I wish they would be honest in their dealings. It's not like the world doesn't know what they are up to. They are sowing massive discontent.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:59 pm

Just called in a "rant" to the Podcacher podcast about Garmin's choice of the name and their (and other cachers') failure to add the .com when referring to the Garmin site.

"Rants & Raves" is a regular feature of the show, where they play feedback from listeners.

BTW, Jake was interviewed yesterday by Sonny and Sandy (the hosts) and will be featured on Monday's show. I'm hoping my call will be featured, as well..
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:02 pm

Just got confirmation that my Rant will be on Monday's Podcacher with Garmin Jake!
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:40 am

RVRoadTrip wrote:They claim to be talking with the OC community. I'd like to know who that is. They have not talked to me (OCUS admin) nor have they spoken to any of the guys who run the other real OC sites. We have a private forum for the OC.xx admins and the general consensus is that Garmin is not being open at all. I think they are trying to do an "end around" run on the opencaching concept.

Well, he certainly seems to believe that he or someone else at Garmin talked to the "opencaching people", and they're cool with it. :lol: If I remember correctly, this is discussed starting at the 19:40 mark of the show, if anyone wants to move the little bar to that point in the podcast.
ImageImage

IDLookout

Post by IDLookout » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:37 pm

*sigh*. I'm sure that Garmin's "new" Opencaching site will be "open" to the other existing opencaching sites....... as long as everything is on the Garmin site. I hope i'm wrong and am not seeing a "Groundspeak part II" coming.
Conrad V
Clark Fork, ID
Mountain Forum Mod