The Dead Drop (USB) Cache

General Information About Geocaching
Cachegeek
The Dead Drop (USB) Cache

Post by Cachegeek » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:21 pm

Due to my current job I want to play devils advocate regarding this new cache type.

I love the idea of this new type!! However it really opens the finder up to a virus or keylogger. Yes you can run a scanner on your pc or device but not every scanner will pick up every virus/logger.

Can we discuss ways to protect the finder or protect yourself when locating this new type of cache?

Again don't think I dislike this new type and in fact I already have a USB drive ready to go. :D
ImageImageImage

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Re: The Dead Drop (USB) Cache

Post by RVRoadTrip » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:34 pm

Computer security is the responsibility of the owner. If anyone has any fears about plugging into a Dead Drop cache, then don't do it. But if you feel secure, then plug right in! :)

For me, I will likely buy an old used laptop for under $100 and use that for Dead Drops. If by chance something happened to it, just wipe it and reload it. Heck, my Droid X will read a USB drive. I wonder how secure that is? I am rooted so I doubt I would do that either - LOL. Any other ideas?

Cachegeek

Post by Cachegeek » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:41 pm

Another idea I use ALOT is load Linux Mint on a CD and run that CD as the OS.

This gives you an OS that is ONLY run in memory and in fact you dont even need to have a hard drive in the machine. When you turn on off the machine everything is gone including any virus or logger you may have picked up.
ImageImageImage

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:03 pm

Moved from the Announcement forum:
A USB cache is simply a USB thumb drive attached to or embedded into a wall, building, curb, etc.
Permission must be granted by the property owner before you permanently attach a USB cache.
If it's mounted in a wall or something similar, wouldn't that make it difficult to access the information on the drive? Or it just more or less a usb drive that is hidden? Sounds like a fun idea, but I'm not sure I would trust plugging into an unknown drive. If I had a throw-away laptop with no personal information on it, I might give it a try. Just my 2 cents.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:11 pm

It would look like this when placed:

Security is an issue for some. If someone is concerned, by all means they shouldn't plug into one... but they also should not discourage others who wish to hide and/or seek Dead Drop caches. I don't care for base jumping but anyone else if free to jump off whatever they want - LOL.

This may not be for everyone but it sure sounds interesting. The guy who came up with this idea has a small site with a few listings but it is a bare bones effort. We added the new cache type here to create awareness and to provide a more suitable listing service. OCPL and OCUK also are adding it, not sure how many other OC sites will do so.

BlindTyldak

Post by BlindTyldak » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:33 pm

Ubuntu (a version of Linux) is also available on many of the tiny netbook computers, and is practically impervious to most viruses out today. I know I wouldn't risk my Windows machine on one, but I'd feel very confident about it with my Netbook.

Cachegeek

Post by Cachegeek » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:18 pm

RVRoadTrip wrote:It would look like this when placed:

Security is an issue for some. If someone is concerned, by all means they shouldn't plug into one... but they also should not discourage others who wish to hide and/or seek Dead Drop caches. I don't care for base jumping but anyone else if free to jump off whatever they want - LOL.

This may not be for everyone but it sure sounds interesting. The guy who came up with this idea has a small site with a few listings but it is a bare bones effort. We added the new cache type here to create awareness and to provide a more suitable listing service. OCPL and OCUK also are adding it, not sure how many other OC sites will do so.
With this one you could always pick up a USB extension cable. This would allow you to plug into the device.
ImageImageImage

Cachegeek

Post by Cachegeek » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:39 pm

Sorry if it sounded like I was trying to discourage others. The purpose of the initial post was to get a discussion going on how to do this cache and be protected at the same time. I obviously should have re-read how I worded the post.

Dont get me wrong as I love this idea and as I did state in the initial post I already have an old USB drive ready to be placed.
ImageImageImage

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:51 pm

Cachegeek wrote:Sorry if it sounded like I was trying to discourage others. The purpose of the initial post was to get a discussion going on how to do this cache and be protected at the same time. I obviously should have re-read how I worded the post.

Dont get me wrong as I love this idea and as I did state in the initial post I already have an old USB drive ready to be placed.
LOL, I wasn't talking about you or anyone else specifically. :D

Cachegeek

Post by Cachegeek » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:04 am

RVRoadTrip wrote:
Cachegeek wrote:Sorry if it sounded like I was trying to discourage others. The purpose of the initial post was to get a discussion going on how to do this cache and be protected at the same time. I obviously should have re-read how I worded the post.

LOL, I wasn't talking about you or anyone else specifically. :D

I work for the DoD and I am use to being very direct with soldiers. That tends to come out sometimes when not on base. :)
ImageImageImage