Terracaching.com possibly shutting down December 31st!!

General Information About Geocaching
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Re: Terracaching.com possibly shutting down December 31st!!

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:46 pm

I do generally see AK's detachment as more the problem. ScottO seems to have been left o keep the forums going and to convey AK's messages since he couldn't log onto the forums, himself, and speak directly to his users.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

idratherbeinthewoods

Post by idratherbeinthewoods » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:18 pm

Does anyone really believe that there is a "new team" ready to take the reins? Not one person has come forward and said "Hey- I'm part of the negotiating party.Hang in there until I /we take over ." If I was the one buying the site, you damn well bet I'd be posting announcement and updates every daily.
I hate to sound cynical,and wish TC the best, but how long did TC 2.0 carry on....
I'll See You On The Darkside Of The Moon
My caches are not cross listed on any other site

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:21 am

Well, I'm taking it that they've not chosen a team, yet. I've tried to tell them that they really need to just make a decision and name the team. (Assuming things are how we're being told.) I still have a pet theory that Angry Kid has (for one reason or another) not actually been involved in the site for some time. I keep thinking the Wizard of Oz, for some reason.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Coffee Peddlers
Site Admin

Post by Coffee Peddlers » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:55 am

Their forum is still up but when you try to access the website you will get a 502 Bad Gateway error so perhaps the site is in the process of being transfered......... Or it just got shut down.
Cheers
CP
Tackling Ontario's hiking trails one step at a time and now invading Michigan Trails as well.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:07 pm

Main site did come back up, today.

Reports from the TerraCaching team is that they are in continued negotiations and are evaluating a team to take over the site and that the site remain up until a team is named.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:16 am

The following was posted to the TerraCaching forums last night. I now feel confident in saying that TC will be remaining an active (and likely growing) member of the geocaching community.
ScottO wrote:Open Letter to the Community:

AK has reached an agreement to sell the site to Cash108. This will result in a new capital investment and a commitment to complete AK’s work on TC2.0.

1. TC2.0, a Ruby on Rail program of the TerraCaching Site, is approximately 70% complete. Programmers are currently being engaged to finish this work.

2. The closing and transfer of the Assets are expected to occur on January 24, 2011. This will result in a new team to move the site forward. Scotto will stay with the team and has agreed to increase his role from Facilitator to Administrator. Cash108 will be the new owner of TerraCaching. It was not a bidding process; his selection in part is based on the hope that he can consolidate the other offers and make a determined effort for the future of TerraCaching.

3. AK would rather just become a member the community and enjoy finding and placing caches. AK does not desire to be active in the new management or decision making. We will respect his choice. AK has earned this right to become a normal member that can enjoy the site and we hope that the community will allow for a smooth transition.

4. Cash108 is committed to engaging the members of the community, reactivating the current participation, and finding new members that will be active on the site. The desire is to increase the activity on the site and create an environment that is responsive to all players. These ideas from the community have been well documented; Cash108 agrees we need action. Some of the obvious early focus will be getting TC2.0 up and running and seeking help from members of the community to increase their role in the site. Early concessions would be to allow Premium Membership for all players for 60 days and to solidify links with TC.EU by granting free membership and increase communication about the site.

5. Nothing is for free. The long term goal is to generate enough revenue to have the site become self sustaining and pay for its own upgrades. This will not be easy. Cash108 has committed to the next generation of TerraCachers, to the current members of the community and will promise that TerraCaching.com will be here for years to come. Any donation of funds or new memberships will be used to improve the site and will be greatly appreciated. Most important Cash108 will need help from the community.

6. What can you do? Be patient, be positive and constructive, use the site as designed and go find caches and place new caches, enjoy the love of the hunt. Post about your finds, brag about your active members. Communicate about the site and work to get new members. Together we can see the Next Generation of TerraCaching.

Sincerely,

AK, ScottO, and Cash108
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

zstatman

Post by zstatman » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:24 am

Yes this sounds very promising and we all are in hopes that OCUS also will, as a community, continue its support of caching regardless of which form (Web site) one favors.

To caching!

ZStatman
Montana 650
Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro Phone
"It is all in the search!"
Florida, USA

=========================================
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt (anonymous)