Why Are You Here?

General Information About Geocaching
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Why Are You Here?

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:00 am

I response to my recent milestone post in another (non-site specific) caching forum, I received the following response...
DudleyGrunt wrote:
some other cacher wrote:...the other sites are currently irrelevant.
I resent (or resemble) that comment.

I like caching for two primary reasons:

1) The people I've met, either in person or online. TC, NC, and OCUS have all allowed me to meet and get to know more great people.

2) The places caching takes me and the things I get to see, that I just wouldn't, otherwise. I also get this from the "alternative" caching sites.

Then, there are the caches themselves. When I first started realizing there were other caching sites and caches that I wasn't even aware of about 18 months after I started caching, I knew I had to check them out.

I now have 2332 GC.com, 133 TerraCaching, 21 OpenCachingUS, and 15 Navicache finds.
This is a slightly new expression of why I've been so open to using sites other than Groundspeak's, where I and so many cachers started. I used to talk about how promoting competition and how that's a good thing. That's true, but not really the whole story. I don't by various brands of other goods, just to promote competition. Some people just won't expand their caching horizons, but I think my main 2 points above a bit more compelling to most cachers.

What do you think? What do you say when people ask you why you use OCUS, in particularly, or any of "the other" caching sites, in general?
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Coffee Peddlers
Site Admin

Re: Why Are You Here?

Post by Coffee Peddlers » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:38 pm

I support TC and OCUS for the pure reason of supporting competition.

What I have begun to notice and really like about OCUS is that there more and more OCUS ONLY caches. Why would I come here if all the caches are cross linked. I want to come here to find caches that I can not find on GC.COM
Cheers
CP
Tackling Ontario's hiking trails one step at a time and now invading Michigan Trails as well.

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:05 pm

Ditto that of the Java Sellers ;) Competition is good. This site is unique though Id like to see more OUCS only caches. The .com site is nothing more than a Frog Clone with Frog Haters.I find the "why did Groundspeak ban you" thread rather amusing.

networkcacher

Post by networkcacher » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:53 am

Sabrefan7 wrote:Ditto that of the Java Sellers ;) Competition is good. This site is unique though Id like to see more OUCS only caches. The .com site is nothing more than a Frog Clone with Frog Haters.I find the "why did Groundspeak ban you" thread rather amusing.
My thoughts exactly Sabrefan7! My desire to find OCUS caches (along with TCs too) has evolved from simply promoting competition, to reveling in the differences. Vive la différence!
ImageImageImage

zstatman

Post by zstatman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:05 am

I GC, TC and now OC for variety. My interest isn't in the numbers but for the experience, and yes, the challenge that some caches present (I might say that challenge involves both physical and/or mental). There are those "easy" caches, at least they look that way on Google Earth, that are found by the mental effort involved, the strategy required to get to GZ (and I am not talking about puzzle caches).

If one jumps over to Garmin's OC you will see, like an earlier post notes, a series of caches that were simply "copied over," and this is unfortunate (I have one cross-posted cache on OC).

To the experience, the search and the enjoyment!

ZStatman
Montana 650
Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro Phone
"It is all in the search!"
Florida, USA

=========================================
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt (anonymous)

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:27 am

There are several reasons I'm here.

1st...all the cool cachers are doing it. ;) LOL!
2nd...Virtuals, Webcams, Guest Books, etc, etc. - things that GC customers have been BEGGING for for months.
3rd...Free queries, Free trackables (GeoKrety), free filters, free is the optimum word here.
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

Coffee Peddlers
Site Admin

Post by Coffee Peddlers » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:05 pm

NativTxn wrote:There are several reasons I'm here.

1st...all the cool cachers are doing it. ;) LOL!
2nd...Virtuals, Webcams, Guest Books, etc, etc. - things that GC customers have been BEGGING for for months.
3rd...Free queries, Free trackables (GeoKrety), free filters, free is the optimum word here.
1st... that would be me, you're welcome ;)
2nd... its nice being different
3rd... ??? Do you like Free?

LOL all kidding aside, all excellent points. And to expand on the Free part of it.... to help keep things free, supporting fundraising efforts are important. Although from what I understand, right now it's not an issue but if down the road it is requested than we need to ban together. I love FREE :)!!
Cheers
CP
Tackling Ontario's hiking trails one step at a time and now invading Michigan Trails as well.

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:29 pm

Fundraisers are fine but the easiest way to support the site is to visit the advertiser's sites via the ads on the main OCUS site.