Grid Memorials

General Information About Geocaching
DJCreekCachers
Grid Memorials

Post by DJCreekCachers » Wed May 25, 2011 8:03 pm

Today, during my lunch-time walk around the Air Force Materiel Command Headquarters building, I saw out of the corner of my eye a 2 foot high concrete post protruding from the ground. I thought to myself that looks like a benchmark. Upon closer examination, I discovered the concrete post had a grid monument attached to it. I have never seen one of these. It contained latitude and longitude markings and elevation much like a benchmark would. The only difference is that the plate indicated it was a Grid Monument rather than a Benchmark.

I found it odd that I’ve walked by this location hundreds of times over the past 13 years and never saw it until today.
I suppose it would be ill-advised to create a listing for this monument seeing that it is within the confines of a US Air Force Base.

I am wondering if anyone else has found a Grid Monument. If so, share your experiences.

Sabrefan7

Re: Grid Memorials

Post by Sabrefan7 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:49 pm

I have seen all types of bench/azimuth/triangulation marks and a mark for the international boundary commission but never a grid marker

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu May 26, 2011 7:38 pm

Well, I have two virtuals listed on Fort Belvoir (VA) with the following caveats:
The Belvoir Mansion and Fairfax Grave sites are located on Fort Belvoir, a controlled access US Army installation. It is possible, however, to enter through the Tully Gate by simply showing a drivers license.

Visitors who wish to enter Fort Belvoir and do not have a vehicle with a Department of Defense decal must use Tulley Gate. Simply drive to the white tent as directed and show a valid state driver's license. The Visitor Processing Operations Center (VPOC) is located at Tulley Gate (just north of Route One and VA 7100) and open Monday through Friday from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. For further information, call the VPOC at (703) 806-4892 or visit their web page.

CAUTION: While on post, be sure to strictly abide by the speed limits. You can not rely on the same sort of buffer you might otherwise enjoy. Also note that you must use a hands free device for your cell phone while driving on post.
Of course, conditions may vary between installations and services and they need to be taken into account.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Fri May 27, 2011 6:56 pm

Hmmm, never seen a Grid Monument either. Since find.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"