Cross listed caches

General Information About Geocaching
glorkar
Cross listed caches

Post by glorkar » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:52 pm

If a cache is cross listed, should the cacher have find it again to log it on OC US?
I say yes, because things may have changed since the time they found it.
But that begs another question...if it's cross listed, should there be two log books?
I say no. It might be confusing to other cachers, but the log is really just a record for the CO. If finders like looking at the other names on the log, that's just bonus IMO.
Which brings up another point related to the first two. If the do have to find it again, do they have to sign the log again?
I think I say yes on this one. Maybe just put an "OC" indication after the cacher name.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Re: Cross listed caches

Post by RVRoadTrip » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:13 pm

I don't feel that it should be found again unless it has moved.
I have logged 68 finds and would simply mark them as found once they appeared on this site,
this is of course if the coordinates were the same.

If the finder wants to designate where they got the coordinates, that is up to them.
An agreed upon format would be needed and that would take time for people to realize it even existed.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:56 am

Personally, I only log a particular cache on one site, though I might log a note on any additional sites. That allows me to more easily keep track of my TOTAL cache finds. (currently, GS=2179, TC=93, NC=15, OC=0)

As an owner, thought, I would have no problem with someone logging one of my crosslisted caches on both sites.
Last edited by DudleyGrunt on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

czar7

Post by czar7 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:44 am

Heck...if I start seeing cross posted caches...I am going to go find them again to log it. I will simply sign the log again with a notation that says OC.us . Might get a few folks looking at this site. Plus...if the cache is good...I don't mind finding it a second time!

I am not about the numbers but about the experience. Everyone has their own reasons for being out here...might as well have fun doing it!

Just my 2 cents.
Czar7

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:40 am

Hello everyone!

The touchy subject of cross-listed caches... or caches listed on more than one site. Here's our official stance on that:

Ideally, we would like all of our caches to be unique to this site. If you place a new cache, we'd hope that you would only list it here. If you have an existing cache listed on another site, we would like it very much if you moved it to this site. That would all take place in a perfect world, and we all know the world isn't perfect. The cache data belongs to you, the cache owner. You are free to list it anywhere you want and our goal is to offer a place where you WANT your cache to be listed. We want this site to be the "go to" place for cache data that is not outdated, orphaned or otherwise unsuitable. I know I get quite annoyed to pull a query only to find many of the caches no longer exist in real life but continue to be published on that other site. :)

I hope this clears things up. Feel free to give me your feedback.

Jerry

Mother Wolf

Post by Mother Wolf » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:32 am

Being new here & still feeling my way through I havent yet placed a cache for OC. I think though when I do it will be exclusive for here. I have in the past Xlisted caches on WM & NC but it just became to time consuming to keep track of everything. I have since quit Xlisting caches.

As you point out Jerry, as a cacher it is annoying to go look for a cache that is Xlisted, wherever, only to find the info is outdated & therefore has an affect on the outcome. Hopefully in time this WILL be the place to come to. We will work on making that happen. MW

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:26 am

Just a note, if you convert some of your Waymarks into OCUS virtuals, you can still use the "Only on OCUS" attribute (IMO) since WM's are not actually geocaches. I did this with my Thermo-Con House and Spaceship House virts, which are also Waymarks.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:28 pm

RVRoadTrip wrote:Hello everyone!

The touchy subject of cross-listed caches... or caches listed on more than one site. Here's our official stance on that:

Ideally, we would like all of our caches to be unique to this site. If you place a new cache, we'd hope that you would only list it here. If you have an existing cache listed on another site, we would like it very much if you moved it to this site. That would all take place in a perfect world, and we all know the world isn't perfect. The cache data belongs to you, the cache owner. You are free to list it anywhere you want and our goal is to offer a place where you WANT your cache to be listed. We want this site to be the "go to" place for cache data that is not outdated, orphaned or otherwise unsuitable. I know I get quite annoyed to pull a query only to find many of the caches no longer exist in real life but continue to be published on that other site. :)

I hope this clears things up. Feel free to give me your feedback.

Jerry
Interesting, I did not know that. Well, when I place one, it will be opencaching.us only.

I guess my question is, do all the opencaching sister sites have this same policy, most notably opencaching.de?
ImageImage

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:15 pm

Each Opencaching node is run independently but in general, the guidelines are similar. You would have to check that node to be sure what their guidelines are.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:26 pm

RVRoadTrip wrote:Each Opencaching node is run independently but in general, the guidelines are similar. You would have to check that node to be sure what their guidelines are.
I'd love to, but I can't read German! :mrgreen: I was just interested if most of the opencaching.de caches are cross-listed or not. Because far as I can tell, it's the the most serious competition that Geocaching.com has anywhere in the world. Don't quote me on that one though.
ImageImage