Re: Cross listed caches

Post by BlueStone » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:47 pm

LOL...I was thinking the same.
We;ll have to see if we can throw them a curve ball or two. :twisted:

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:29 pm

I'm still working on my little project, but so far, I have 115 caches with 9999 miles of Jessup, Md (this should include most every OCUC hide) with the OCUS ONLY attribute. I still need to check about 30 virts and the traditionals.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:03 pm

We're officially up to 156 OCUS ONLY caches. I've not yet looked at the traditionals.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:17 am

1) We know show 184 caches with the OCUS ONLY attribute. I've not rechecked to see who many may be unique, but not have the attribute selected.

2) I also thought I'd share how I log crosslisted caches. I think I've mentioned before that I only log the cache as "found" on one site (OCUS, in this case), that way I can more easily track my total number of finds without double counting a single cache, just because it is crosslisted. I do post a note with the same text on the other site (usually GC.com). While I'd get my hand slapped if I mentioned OCUS in a GC.com log, I hope maybe someone would ask me why I posted a note, instead of a "Found It". It just occurred to me last night that I should also add the "other" listing to my ignore list, so I can filter it out of search results. I actually had to do this for one OCUS cache that I logged on GC.com in 2008 - Out Of This World by flyingmoose (OU0098).

(I just noticed a bug in with ignored caches, that I will post in the Bug Reports thread.)
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:56 pm

An experiment in cross listing. The following is a post in our local forum. GCGC is the Greater Charlotte Geocaching Club and some references may only make sense to locals. JonMcP is a new member to the GCGC and one of the newest members of OCus posting his FTF on the cache due to GS's delay in review.

Logger is a new cache in a new Charlotte park with absolutely NO parking. A real shame as I could see this as a mini Idlewild park. Anyway this cache is listed on every cache listing service I could get on except Terracaching because you need two sponsors and I didn't even try. I would love to add TC to the list of options if any TCers would like to sponsor me.

I submitted Logger at about 2:00pm Fri 11th.

OCus (Opencaching.us) submitted and approved within 2 hours. Would have been sooner had I not placed the cache in the Atlantic when typing the coordinates. The reviewer found the correct location based on my discription but decided to wait for my verification. I had to "activate" the listing once it was approved. They do not publish them after review like GC but you can activate it right then or schedule release at another time or date. A great tool for a scheduled release like I did with The Walrus that I scheduled to release at the time of the Event cache at Octopus Garden.

OX (Opencaching.com) Submission goes to a 12 hour review process. I ws unable to find the cache page for quite some time before I found the little "review" button at the bottom of the page. By that time things were looking bad for publication. Anyone can review a cache by clicking the link and posting a yes or no vote. It had been reviewed a few times by some heavy weights giving me a bad score before I was able to complete the cache page. (I needed the OX# for the cache) Apparently there is a "draft" stage that I overlooked. You have to go to the review section to see or make changes to the page while in review. I don't know the final score but when I last looked it was moving up to -4 with about 2 hours to go. I recieved no notification of approval or listing once it was over.

NC (Navicache.com) took about the same 12 hours for review but at least I was able to find it on my profile page to make changes. Again I recieved no notification of publication.

GC (Geocaching.com) Most of us know what to expect and I thought this would be the 2nd to publish but I am now at the 73 hour mark and still in the review que. This is the longest I have ever waited for review but it happens I guess.

I am curious as to how people will log it. I expect most if not all will log on GC but perhaps it will make non-GCGCers aware of other listing sites so that they will check them out and maybe participate. Like JonMcP I want to keep my finds count in order so I would choose one site but you can log on any combination you want. There are a few NC caches near Charlotte, 1 OX cache cross listed with GC and several OCus caches (you're welcome and go get 'em). That and the experience of attempting a listing on each of the sites was what I was after here.

GC update : 79 hours and review denied due to my failure to enter the final coordinates. I had failed to enter the required prefix code and missed it when submitting. Back in the que.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:08 am

Thanks for the insight into your process.

Congrats to JonMcP for making the FTF (logged on OCUS only)!
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:59 pm

Very interesting. I just dont get the OX site at all. Whats up with negative reviews? Did some one vote no because your not a frog hater? :lol: Are the maps still broken on NC? It will be a year in June. I am surprised at GC though. I have never waited more than 10 hours for either NY reviewer

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:28 pm

The negative votes on OX were mostly due to them voting before I had completed the final coordinate listings and the name of the park sounded like too much of a natural preserve. The first few to vote had heavily weighted scores that pushed it way down. If I had known about the "draft" status It might not have been so bad but they started voting during the first hour or so before I had entered the final coordinates. Since I could not find the listing I re-entered everything with the final. By the time I found it in the "review" section I was WAY down. At that point I had entered an explaination of the name and the final info. OCus's own IJeep was the first to vote yes which was bringing the score up again. Fortunatly he had a little weight behind him.

NC maps are still broken. They never come up on the cache page but are available in a search.

I don't know why it took so long for the GC review. It was well beyond the norm but they do have lives too that take them away at times. Then I had failed to properly complete the final on it and had to resubmit. That only took a couple hours for approval. NC reviewer is usually pretty reasonable on time. Rarely do I wait more than 10 hours, usually far less.

JonMcP eventually entered a second "find" log on GC after it came online. Met him today and think he is more open to opencaching and not entirely obligated to "the frog". While I have "assimilated" (resistance is futile) a few more established cachers, I think the best opportunity to bring in new participants may be with those that just started caching and aren't so tied to their GC numbers. The higher find number cachers tend to find one or two but aren't very active with OC otherwise. I tend to send a greeting to finders of my GC caches that have low find numbers and expressed an interest to my particular hide style, introducing them to OCus (since my hides dominate the OCus cahces in the area) and our local geocaching club.

Here in Charlotte OX is non-existant. OCus has about 20 hides of most types but is limited to two exclusive hiders (myself included as the most prolific) and one x-lister with 1 cache. I have had several others go for some of the caches but they are inconsistant and have not really joined in. The "GC has more caches than I will ever find" is my biggest hurdle followed by "this OC cache doesn't count on my 365 day challenge" type.