Cross listed caches

General Information About Geocaching
RVRoadTrip
Site Admin
Re: Cross listed caches

Post by RVRoadTrip » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:28 pm

Use Google to translate the page for you... it does fairly well. And Opencaching.pl has over 10,000 caches on its site.

GOF

Post by GOF » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:28 pm

I've seen the other sites turn into a mini version of the frogs site. Shortly after that people archive caches at GC.com and neglect to do so on the other sites. In the end the other sites turned into a waste land of useless listings for non-existent caches. I for one would be very excited if folks did not cross-list. I'm just not interested in mirroring the fogs db.

idratherbeinthewoods

Post by idratherbeinthewoods » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:47 am

Would some one explain to me why they want to X-list caches?
Is there really that much excitement in replacing logbooks sooner and twice the "Took everything ,left broken McToy,TFTC" log notifications?
I'll See You On The Darkside Of The Moon
My caches are not cross listed on any other site

jeffbouldin

Post by jeffbouldin » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:14 am

I started by crosslisting several of mine to get some on Opencaching in my area. I had a couple of caches I was working on for the other site and knew it would be a bit until I got to hide some strictly for here. Not planning on crosslisting everything.

idratherbeinthewoods

Post by idratherbeinthewoods » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:25 am

Thats great that you posted 'em here, but why x-list them?
I'll See You On The Darkside Of The Moon
My caches are not cross listed on any other site

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:09 am

I think he meant "Why not just transfer them from GC to here instead of cross-listing them?"

Each person lists or cross-lists for their own reason. Some examples are:
1) I didn't know it caused problems with logging, etc.
2) I want my cache listed everywhere so everyone can find it!
3) I did it temporarily to get things going on a new site but will de-list them at one of the sites.
4) insert your reason here...

Fortunately, at this site we have a way to get rid of orphaned caches so it won't become the problem here that it is at GC.

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:16 am

My main reason for cross listing some of my caches was solely to generate interest in the site. My caches on the other site haven't been found too often, so there are a lot of people in the area that would still enjoy finding them on here. And while it would would be great to just move them over here right away, I do still like having them found. There are not nearly enough people using OCUS in my area yet.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:19 pm

I've crosslisted some of mine for reasons similar to glokar.

Personally, I do not "cross log" caches - I only log as found on one site or the other. I've logged a few crosslisted caches (that I'd not previously found on GC) on OCUS and posted notes on GC.com. Of course, I can't reference OCUS on GC.com, but maybe get someone wondering why I logged it as a note, but clearly indicate I found it. If asked, I can tell them.

I do know of one local cacher who has been logging finds on cross listed caches he had previously found on GC.com, but only after he revisits the cache. This actually helped me realized one of mine was missing.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

GOF

Post by GOF » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:55 pm

glorkar wrote:My main reason for cross listing some of my caches was solely to generate interest in the site. My caches on the other site haven't been found too often, so there are a lot of people in the area that would still enjoy finding them on here. And while it would would be great to just move them over here right away, I do still like having them found. There are not nearly enough people using OCUS in my area yet.
To be honest I think cross listing caches is likely to keep people from experimenting with a new site. Why wander off the lily pad if you aren't going to find anything new?

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:27 am

I agree that, ideally, we'd have all unique caches, but can see room for some crosslisting.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image