Munzee

General Information About Geocaching
NativTxn
Site Admin
Munzee

Post by NativTxn » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:08 am

Have any of you heard of this site? http://www.munzee.com/

It all works off QR Codes and your GPS location. Could this be incorporated into a cache as "Special Equipment Required"? You would need a smartphone with a bar code scanner to do it. There's a couple here in town and I'm going to check it out.
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Re: Munzee

Post by RVRoadTrip » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:13 pm

You could drop it into a cache easily enough but using the Special Equipment Required attribute is not a good idea. I would just mention in the short description if the cache contained a Munzee.

I looked at the site and I guess it is an OK thing. The only difference I see is that instead of signing a log, you just scan a QR code. At least there won't be any cheating, LOL. Having to print and laminate the QR codes would be tedious. An non-laminated code would soon become un-scannable due to repeated handling or if by chance it got wet. I think it will be a successful venture but more people have handheld GPS units than they do smart phones, so a large segment of the population is left out of the game.

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:58 pm

I just added this to the cache description:

Contains a Image
Image Image Image
My Website

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:11 pm

NativTxn wrote:I just added this to the cache description:

Contains a Image
I'm sort of confused. You put a munzee in an existing cache? You said on Twitter today you deployed 2 Munzee's, or you mean Munzee caches? Anyways, It sounded good at first, but then I saw you need the App to play, and the App is Iphone and Droid only. Not even Blackberry's? Samsung, Palm and LG make Smartphones too. Oh well, I won't be playing, I guess.
ImageImage

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:01 pm

Munzees are just a QR Code that you print out and place out somewhere. You get points for deploying them and for scanning them and when someone scans the ones you've deployed. You can put them in a cache or you can put them out on their own - hidden or in plain view. It's just an added thing to put in a cache. That way someone can sign the log and scan the Munzee all at once. Some people even put them in their office window or business.

I've always described geocaching as a Scavenger Hunt instead of a Treasure Hunt as most people do. Munzees are just another aspect of a scavenger hunt. Scanning the Munzee is NOT a requirement for logging the cache. They are separate games, they are just occupying the same place when you put them in a cache, kind of like adding a GeoKret that doesn't move.
Image Image Image
My Website

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:43 pm

Sounds interesting for sure, and I'd love to play with the official App. I do have another criticism though, not that I'm dissing you or anything!! I imagine most people around here read the Froggie forums, and if you do, you probably know I'm a big-time voice against the newfangled smartphone logging trend in Geocaching. You know, totally blank logs, or "TFTC" only logs? A major trend has developed, and it's almost exclusively newbie Geocachers logging this way. It's like smartphone have a mind control chip in them that tell the smartphone Geocacher that they must log the cache on their phone from the cache site.

Now this didn't occur to me at all, but another guy in the Groundspeak forums brought this up, looking at a Munzee page. The Munzee description itself was extremely minimal, and the 4 or 5 found logs for it were simply just that, "found" and nothing else. Leads me to believe you can't type anything about your Munzee hunt, even if you wanted to. Not a fan here of that aspect! Impersonal, and gives a whole "it's all about the numbers" feel to it.
ImageImage

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:46 pm

From what I understand, scanning the Munzee records the find. For those that want to sign logs, there are standard geocaches. For everyone else, there's Munzee. Wait, did that almost sound like a MasterCard commercial? :)

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:38 am

I created an attribute for those who wish to include a Munzee in an OCUS cache. Enjoy/ :)

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:55 am

Sweet! Thanks for that!
Image Image Image
My Website

gundark2000

Post by gundark2000 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:04 pm

I just heard about Munzee on either this weeks or last weeks Podcacher podcast. It sounds cool and I like the idea of including one in a cache. Only problem with me is... I don't own a smartphone. Oh well... BTW, if any of you aren't familliar with the Podcacher podcast, you should check it out. They have a lot of good stories, interviews, tips and tricks.