Cache Idea

General Information About Geocaching
RVRoadTrip
Site Admin
Re: Cache Idea

Post by RVRoadTrip » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:04 pm

LOL, I guess I better get to work on the icons and such. I received lots of positive feedback on the idea across the various places I mentioned it. I did get one "meh". :)

I should have something ready by tomorrow along with a set of guidelines for creating and placing them.

The Searchers

Post by The Searchers » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:21 pm

This is a good idea. We do Munzees and this would be a good addition to OCUS. We like doing traditional caches but sometimes we just don't have a lot of time and these are great to fill that time. We have been to some neat little neighborhood parks that would be hard to put a physical cache in but they had Munzees. Like OCUS because new ideas get a chancce.
The Searchers

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:48 pm

We should probably update the comments in the wiki about Log Passwords and how they are only generally suggested for virtuals.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:36 pm

All the icons are created and online, the Wiki has been updated and now all that is left is to code the www.BITcaching.com site. I decided that BIT will stand for Bound Information Tag since the tag will be bound (laminated) in most cases. the goal is to simply have it referred to as "bitcaching".

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:38 pm

Can this not be done on the OCUS site? Would we have to go to another site to set these up???
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:01 am

NativTxn wrote:Can this not be done on the OCUS site? Would we have to go to another site to set these up???
The other site will simply be informational. After you crate the bitcache listing here, it will then take you to a page that will auto-generate a printable image containing the QR code, the serial number you specify, your username, etc. A sample image can bee seen at www.bitcaching.com

Still hashing things out so things are subject to change. No listings for bitcaches will be approved prior to the completion of bitcaching.com which should be some time in the coming week.

jackrob

Post by jackrob » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:48 am

I love the idea! It would be easier to both maintain & find these caches. For me, maintenance for conventional caches I hide is challenging. I like to keep my caches in good shape, keep the junk out of them, make sure the logs are dry & clean. These hides would be much easier to maintain, but still fun to find. Great idea.

Shilo

Post by Shilo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:36 am

I like the idea and the QR code still being on the BITcache game piece so those of us who can read QR codes still can if we choose to.

So will this be an BITcache app or will any QR code reader do?

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:00 am

Shilo wrote:I like the idea and the QR code still being on the BITcache game piece so those of us who can read QR codes still can if we choose to.

So will this be an BITcache app or will any QR code reader do?
Any phone that can read QR codes will be able to scan them. All the QR code will do is take you to the cache page where you can type in the password and log the find. If a phone does not support this or they are simply using a handheld GPS (without a phone of any kind), the finder can simply write down the password and the OUxxxx number and log the find when they get to a computer.

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:13 pm

They are live and a new forum section is available for them.