Question on Moving Caches

General Information About Geocaching
NativTxn
Site Admin
Question on Moving Caches

Post by NativTxn » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:42 pm

Should I update the coordinates of a Moving Cache to show it's most current location? Don't know why I didn't think to ask this before.
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Re: Question on Moving Caches

Post by RVRoadTrip » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:56 pm

You can if you like... if it were me, once it had been moved the first time, I would add to the description "This cache is no longer at the posted coordinates. Please see the logs to find the current location."

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:59 pm

Since mine seems to be very slow in moving from location to location, I think I'll update the coords so it shows up on the map correctly.
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

obxgeek

Post by obxgeek » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:00 am

So having had my first and second moving caches moved for the first time I had some thoughts and figured it might be a good idea to hash them out and see what other people's opinions are.

So first thing that I found was that a the owner you can't "find" a moving cache just log it. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing. Not being allowed to find your own cache in the other cache types makes sense as unless someone puts the cache back in the wrong place there isn't much hunting for the cache as you already know where it is but in the case of a moving cache once you are more than one removed from the cache it really is a hunt. I am not saying it should be changed but would like to see the opinions on it.

I opted for updating the coordinates for the caches as I don't have an area restriction on the caches so I wouldn't want them to get hidden hundreds of miles from where the posted coordinates were and no one ever found them because they would never have thought to pull a cache file for a Virginia cache while hunting in Texas.

It might be nice to have a coordinates field when posting a moved log... and along that line allowing the cache owner to quickly "approve" the cache move so that it would use those coordinates to update the listing.

Thoughts? Additions? Suggestions?

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:33 am

obxgeek wrote:So having had my first and second moving caches moved for the first time...
I was glad to get out and get them, after almost 2 weeks. I'm thinking cycleangela and / or sfcchaz will get to them soon.
obxgeek wrote:So first thing that I found was that a the owner you can't "find" a moving cache just log it. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing. Not being allowed to find your own cache in the other cache types makes sense as unless someone puts the cache back in the wrong place there isn't much hunting for the cache as you already know where it is but in the case of a moving cache once you are more than one removed from the cache it really is a hunt. I am not saying it should be changed but would like to see the opinions on it.
I could see finding your own moving cache as a reasonable thing. Like you said, once it's been moved, you have no unfair advantage to finding it.
obxgeek wrote:I opted for updating the coordinates for the caches as I don't have an area restriction on the caches so I wouldn't want them to get hidden hundreds of miles from where the posted coordinates were and no one ever found them because they would never have thought to pull a cache file for a Virginia cache while hunting in Texas.
Probably a good idea, especially with no geographical limits. Unfortunately, the surviving ones on GC.com don't have their own cache type and don't seem to have the coords updated, so it's hard to watch for them. We have one in the DC area that needs to stay within 30 miles of the Washington Monument and I've found / moved that one around, but think I've only logged one other one there.
obxgeek wrote:It might be nice to have a coordinates field when posting a moved log... and along that line allowing the cache owner to quickly "approve" the cache move so that it would use those coordinates to update the listing.
I definitely think it would be a nice thing, but am sure it would be an involved bit of coding to have it set up this way. Perhaps at some point.[/quote]
obxgeek wrote:Thoughts? Additions? Suggestions?
I also decided to log them as "Found" when I picked them up on Saturday and then log them as "Moved", when I relocated them on Sunday. Like "Attended" logs, the "Moved" log doesn't add to your "Found" count, so I think most folks will want to log them this way.

I think we discussed this at some point, but as with other cache types, you can only log these as "Found" once. I would be open to the possibility of being able to log multiple "Found" logs for these, perhaps with some limitation on how many other people needed to find it, in-between.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:06 am

If there's one thing I'm not, it's a numbers hound. Sure, I have like 2,300 finds on Geocaching.com, but I've been doing it 8 1/2 years.

I would absolutely log a find on my own moving cache after it was hidden somewhere else by someone else. I would even log it multiple times!! I actually think multiple found logs would be more of an incentive for people to move them.

If I'm not mistaken, there are less than 50 Groundspeak Grandfathered moving caches left (and to boot, many of them are just being carried around to events, and never "hidden") and you can log multiple finds to them. Well of course you can log mulitple finds to ANY Groundspeak listing, always have been able to.
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:47 am

I don't mind that I can not log my own moving cache but would not object to it.
I would like to see the ability to log multiple times though. With the limited number of participants in most areas this would be an incentive to remain active even when no new hides are being placed.