Still new site?

General Information About Geocaching
Contra1971
Still new site?

Post by Contra1971 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:18 pm

wow...I only see 1 cache in San Antonio

did I do something wrong?
And Remember, It's Not About Having What You Want, It's About Wanting What You Have

glorkar

Re: Still new site?

Post by glorkar » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:28 pm

You did everything right. We are always trying to build up the membership and there are quite a few open areas (no pun intended) where there aren't a lot of people playing yet.
Only having 1 cache in San Antonio just means that you'll have to place more for others to find. If you hide them, they will come :D
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

Contra1971

Post by Contra1971 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:33 pm

cool, just what I wanted to hear

I will get started
And Remember, It's Not About Having What You Want, It's About Wanting What You Have

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:03 pm

I just approved "The Alpha", for you. I think if you start getting some out, NativTxn would be be lured into heading over your way - for a start.

Just try to promote them to your fellow cachers and hopefully, you'll start getting seeing some interest. One thing is for sure, though. Without any caches, it'll be a lot harder to get folks in the area interested in the site.

Welcome aboard!
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Contra1971

Post by Contra1971 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:52 pm

thanks glad to be here

Contra1971

Post by Contra1971 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:03 pm

I am not seeing the cache I hid in "my caches" or on the map

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:23 pm

After your cache has been approved, you need to go back into it and select "Ready for search" in the first drop down box. Then towards the bottom, you have to select "Publish Now" from the three options given. After that you are good to go.
To get to your cache, there should have been a link in the email sent to you. If you already deleted that, under the "My Caches" screen there are menus across the top. One of them is labeled "Not Published."
As for the map, by default there is a box near the top that is checked to not show the caches that you own. If you want to see it, uncheck the box. This effects only you. Everyone else will still see it in their searches after you publish it.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

Contra1971

Post by Contra1971 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:28 pm

lol I got it now...thanks

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:26 pm

Welcome! Recognized your name, and realized I saw it in the Groundspeak forums, where you started a smartphone thread on the same day. Well yeah, the site is barely over a year old. Texas does in fact have the most caches of any State on this website: http://www.opencaching.us/articles.php?page=s7 They also have the most actual searches for caches: http://www.opencaching.us/articles.php?page=s8 although those of us in New York are trying to catch up. :mrgreen: I'm sure with Texas being the State with the most Opencaching North America listings, some of the Texas cachers will eventually make the trip to San Antonio to find yours.
ImageImage

Contra1971

Post by Contra1971 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:37 pm

that would make me soo happy, placing caches (with thought)
is harder than one would think