Garmincaching update

General Information About Geocaching
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Garmincaching update

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:47 pm

I stumbled on this link on the daily bot generated geocaching newsletter on Twitter. It's a blog post by BlueRajah, a Groundspeak reviewer from Utah. He apparently has a "friend" who keeps stats on Opencaching.com, and I know of another guy in the Groundspeak forums who runs stats on Garmin (I doubt it's the same guy, but it's possible).

The Blog post seems to be inspired by the fact that Garmin had less caches listed on their site then they did the week before. Looks like that's the first time that has happened. Obviously someone with a ton of imported Groundspeak hides gave up on Garmin and archived all theirs; so many that it was greater than the number published in the same week.

To make a long story short, Garmin's site is 10 months old (started the 1st week of Decmember, 2010), has 17,500 active caches, and 90%-95% of them are said to be Groundspeak imports. http://firennice.squarespace.com/journa ... pdate.html
ImageImage

Sabrefan7

Re: Garmincaching update

Post by Sabrefan7 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:58 pm

"the Opencaching network seems very innovative. They are trying new things and doing things that the other sites are not trying." I would call that an "almost" complement :mrgreen:
Interesting for sure

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: Garmincaching update

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:52 pm

Sabrefan7 wrote:"the Opencaching network seems very innovative. They are trying new things and doing things that the other sites are not trying." I would call that an "almost" complement :mrgreen:
Interesting for sure
I saw that! I noticed it, but I almost think the casual reader won't put two and two together and get that he's talking about OCUS in that sentence.

Really I figured they had more than 17,500. And keep in mind it's world wide, and we are just the U.S. here, and only very recently Canada and Mexico. And also keep in mind the ease with which someone with 150 Geocaching.com hides could list their's with Garmin with a couple of mouse clicks. Especially the people who did it in the first week or two, before they came up with their "peer review system" on the fly.
ImageImage