Navicache.com for Sale

General Information About Geocaching
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Re: Navicache.com for Sale

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:56 pm

I couldn't reach Navicache.com for a chunk of Saturday. I understand from the response from EJ that he's acquired passwords, etc from PC Medic. However, he's yet to post anything to the NC forums. As a Navicache user, that concerns me more than their desire to make money. Tomorrow will be one week since first word that the acquisition had taken place.

Neither has PC Medic shared any sort of "goodbye" message, though he has responsed to one post I've made since the 17th.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:36 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:I couldn't reach Navicache.com for a chunk of Saturday. I understand from the response from EJ that he's acquired passwords, etc from PC Medic. However, he's yet to post anything to the NC forums. As a Navicache user, that concerns me more than their desire to make money. Tomorrow will be one week since first word that the acquisition had taken place.

Neither has PC Medic shared any sort of "goodbye" message, though he has responsed to one post I've made since the 17th.
If I'm not mistaken, PCMedic actually deleted a thread about the sale that myself and Chilehead had posted to!! I don't remember if you posted to it also.
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:09 pm

Yes, he neglected (?) to delete another thread with the same initial post and no replies under the Marketplace area.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:12 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:Yes, he neglected (?) to delete another thread with the same initial post and no replies under the Marketplace area.
I don't like my posts being removed from the internet, you know. :lol: That better not ever happen here. Just kidding, how could that ever happen here? A little off-topic, but hey, Coffee Pedlers post just made me realize the Google ads are gone on this website! I did notice the donate button long ago, but never really noticed the banner ads were gone.
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:24 pm

They may have Google maps now but my cache appears to have moved from North Carolina to the Gulf of Guinea near the equator. I don't see that as an improvement.
Coordinates for the map only are now N 0 00.000 W 000 00.000 Cache coordinates remain unchanged.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:55 pm

The "newest" cache on Navicache was listed Nov 2 2014
Over a year ago now

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:00 pm

TermiteHunter wrote:The "newest" cache on Navicache was listed Nov 2 2014
Over a year ago now
There is a bug that will not allow you to create a cache in the United States for well over a year now. Yes, I have noted they have not published a single cache anywhere in the world in 2015. Have none been submitted, or are the owners so disinterested that they haven't even looked at the submitted caches que? Who knows.

I've found their Google maps don't work on "newer" caches, the last 5 years or so. If you look at an older listing, somehow they still work.

Another bug: It's impossible to create a new account. You get an error. You probably have an account, but pretend you don't, and try to create one. You can't. Bugs come up out of nowhere. I know, it happens here. There needs to be someone around to try to fix them. :D
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:29 am

Oh, and I've been watching for a couple years now. They published under 100 caches in the world in 2013, and under 50 in 2014. I think it was in the low 40's. Since you brought this up, I was previously leaning towards there just not being any submissions this year. Now I'm leaning towards them being so out of it, they haven't even visited the site to look to see if there are any.
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:04 pm

If we could only get US, MX & CA members to migrate over to OCNA...I would have to hope that NC caches in other areas are in better condition than they are near me. They are virtually non existent and those that are listed have long since disappeared

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Tapatalk

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:16 am

TermiteHunter wrote:If we could only get US, MX & CA members to migrate over to OCNA...I would have to hope that NC caches in other areas are in better condition than they are near me. They are virtually non existent and those that are listed have long since disappeared
They have exactly 7,953 active listings. I wouldn't doubt 90%+ are cross listed. Keeping in mind The Frog for all practical purposes stopped accepting virtuals in early 2003. They still accepted them until August 2005, but it was nearly impossible to get one approved in that 2 1/2 year era. So there are probably a healthy number of virtuals. Even I had 4 or 5 virts over there (I have long since archived every single listing on Navicache). As far as physical caches, I'll bet 95%+ are cross listed. They have a major worldwide problem with cross listings that are long gone. Heck, even I forgot, sometimes for months, to kill my archived listings on Navicache a few times.

Believe it or not, there are 40+ Navicache only listings in the Rochester, N.Y. area. The founder is from there, and he and his close friends listed their caches only there. Many were once listed on Geocaching.com, but "pulled" and listed only on Navicache. Here's one that hasn't been found in over 10 years, although there was a 2012 attempt.

And of course, it didn't take long to find a Navicache listing in the same park that was deemed missing and archived in 2008 on The Frog site.
ImageImage