Navicache.com for Sale

General Information About Geocaching
NativTxn
Site Admin
Navicache.com for Sale

Post by NativTxn » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:47 pm

I saw DG's post on the Geocachers Unlimited Facebook group. Too bad we couldn't just import the caches here and make that URL point here. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Navicache.com for Sale

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:26 am

One of their big issues is the large number of crosslisted / orphaned caches. IF the site does actually fold, it would be nice to at least be able to get word to its members that we'd welcome any active caches to be brought over here. Will have to see what happens.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:18 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:One of their big issues is the large number of crosslisted / orphaned caches. IF the site does actually fold, it would be nice to at least be able to get word to its members that we'd welcome any active caches to be brought over here. Will have to see what happens.
I do have, I believe, 2 virtuals and a cache in the woods that was rejected by the Frog over there. I see the announcement in their forums. I also remember a post by PCMedic a couple months ago saying he had received an offer, and would consider selling. Odd timing, as they finally updated their website and put Google maps on it after about 8 years of looking exactly the same, with no new functionality added.
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Navicache.com - New Management

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:53 pm

See the newest entry for the MadCacher blog for info. The folks behind that site are the ones who have acquired Navicache.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:04 pm

I wish they could have migrated a bunch of caches (and cachers) over here.
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: Navicache.com - New Management

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:37 am

DudleyGrunt wrote:See the newest entry for the MadCacher blog for info. The folks behind that site are the ones who have acquired Navicache.
Interesting. They bought that blog from some guy last year. I can see wanting to buy Navicache, but some guy's blog? :mrgreen: Anyways, a little clicking around, and it's easy to see who these two guys are at http://www.leewardcoast.com/ I've been following the one guy on Twitter https://twitter.com/mrgeofox for about a year, even though the threatened cachebarn.com website has never gone live.
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:53 am

NativTxn wrote:I wish they could have migrated a bunch of caches (and cachers) over here.
Caches maybe. Cachers over there, we're there any really the last 5 years? I don't know man, the whole "make money on the internet" tone of the blog posts at the new co-owner's homepage http://www.leewardcoast.com/ isn't working for me right now. Navicache was not created to make money on the internet. If anything, it was created to compete with a company that was created to make money off a game that was invented on the internet for free, and which they had nothing to do with. I have 4 NC virutals I would probably move here, unless my first impression is just way off the mark. Which is very possible. :D

Oh, and I was really hoping for a migration of caches and cachers when Terracaching announced they were shutting down, and was actually slightly disappointed when they received several offers (which they weren't expecting), and lived on to keep competing with this site. That wasn't the case with Navicache, it wasn't really for sale when PCMedic received an offer last year, and I believe he would have kept going indefinitely, even if he didn't get the right offer.
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:05 pm

I mentioned to NtvTxn, earlier that I'd had mixed feelings when TC was in danger of shutting down and when I saw that PC Medic was looking at leaving Navicache. I tried to keep stick to hoping that IF either site closed down, members would move to us. In the end, though, I'm glad that each site has survived and look forward the forthcoming improvements on each.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Coffee Peddlers
Site Admin

Post by Coffee Peddlers » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:21 pm

Mr.Yuck wrote:
.... I don't know man, the whole "make money on the internet" tone of the blog posts at the new co-owner's homepage http://www.leewardcoast.com/ isn't working for me right now. Navicache was not created to make money on the internet. If anything, it was created to compete with a company that was created to make money off a game that was invented on the internet for free, and which they had nothing to do with. I have 4 NC virutals I would probably move here, unless my first impression is just way off the mark. Which is very possible. :D
Before I was accepted by the EU group of opencaching, the discussion about turning the site into some commercial entity was first and fore most of concern. I assured them that this site will follow the ideology of free and open to all users. I pay everything out of my own pocket and am happy to. Of course I would like to get the site to a point of breaking even and that is where the discussion of creating OCNA swag started and I posted on the (or maybe it was Dave that posted) developers forum regarding using the OC logo to do so.

We have had a few donations that have come in and for that I am greatful. But with swag it does two things... helps pay the bills and just as importantly advertises the site.

My goal has never been to make money from this site or become rich.. and I find that those that have that attitude are the ones that generally end up being succsessful.
Cheers
CP
Tackling Ontario's hiking trails one step at a time and now invading Michigan Trails as well.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:36 pm

Coffee Peddlers wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:
.... I don't know man, the whole "make money on the internet" tone of the blog posts at the new co-owner's homepage http://www.leewardcoast.com/ isn't working for me right now. Navicache was not created to make money on the internet. If anything, it was created to compete with a company that was created to make money off a game that was invented on the internet for free, and which they had nothing to do with. I have 4 NC virutals I would probably move here, unless my first impression is just way off the mark. Which is very possible. :D
Before I was accepted by the EU group of opencaching, the discussion about turning the site into some commercial entity was first and fore most of concern. I assured them that this site will follow the ideology of free and open to all users. I pay everything out of my own pocket and am happy to. Of course I would like to get the site to a point of breaking even and that is where the discussion of creating OCNA swag started and I posted on the (or maybe it was Dave that posted) developers forum regarding using the OC logo to do so.

We have had a few donations that have come in and for that I am greatful. But with swag it does two things... helps pay the bills and just as importantly advertises the site.

My goal has never been to make money from this site or become rich.. and I find that those that have that attitude are the ones that generally end up being succsessful.
Nice to hear! I hope I don't get myself in trouble, and the new owners of Navicache come here and flame me. :mrgreen: I mean they haven't even taken control yet, far as I can tell. But there is no doubt that on that leewardcoast.com website, all the blog posts, if you read the full posts, are about making money. And I mean the top of the page has a quote about entrepreneurship and a cartoon character with a handfull of money and a laptop. So I don't think my "observation" is out of line. I wish them the best of luck, and we shall see what new things happen at Navicache.com.

Oh, and I'm probably going to hold a 50/50 raffle at my upcoming opencaching event, and donate the split to the website. But also, I may chicken out, if I get a bad vibe that it's being tacky to do so. :D
ImageImage